cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is No Feedback Equivalent to Bad Feedback?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 19

Tilly wrote, "It's pretty obvious the 20% fees changed on new contracts are what scared away all of the good work for the most part." That's not obvious to me, since freelancers pay the 20%, not clients. You can certainly argue that a lot of freelancers raised their fees to make up for that increase, but unless the job is so specialized that only a few freelancers will bid on it, there will always be a spread in the fees proposed that the client can choose from.

Dawn T Member Since: Feb 20, 2017
12 of 19

This is most disheartening.

@John K wrote:

Tonya, I believe a 'pattern' of closed contracts without feedback can lower Job Success. Normally, 2 jobs might not be a 'pattern', but if you don't have many jobs under your belt, then perhaps it would be.

I got my first job on UpWork with a very strange client who was indecisive from the start and balked at my charging time for discussing requirements, demanded a refund, disputed my 1.2 hours (I won the dispute).  Now I have only one job in my history, for 1 hour, with no rating.  I haven't had an invite since. 

Am I dead in the water?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 19

Dawn: Are you dead in the water after a single job with no rating?

Not at all!

You are just getting started. Hardly any clients would care one way or another about that one job. Done even think about it. Just keep applying to appropriate jobs with great cover letters. Continue to improve your portfolio and profile page.

If you want success here, you will find it. Remember that every successful Upwork freelancer was once exactly where you are now.

dawnt
14 of 19

Thanks for the uplift, Preston.  I will keep the faith and press on!  An invite soon would help!
~D

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 19

She's actually lucky. He didn't close the contract so now she can and hope he doesn't rate her.

dawnt
16 of 19

Well, the job ended--not sure if that is the same as closing the contract.  I was prompted to leave a rating for the client at that point, but opted not to, for a couple of reasons.  Maybe because it was a dispute (?),  the instructions said that until I posted my rating of the client, her rating of me would not be posted.  I figured that trashing my first client would reflect poorly on me, thus would not be a wise move.  Second, if I don't rate her, her rating of me won't show, either.  She's probably pretty cheesed that she got nothing and that I prevailed in the dispute; there's little chance that it's a good rating.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 19

Hi Dawn,

To clarify, clients can leave their feedback even if the freelancer doesn't. The message you saw referred to your client's feedback not being displayed publicly before you left feedback for them, or until 14 days pass from the date the contract was closed. You can read more about Upwork's feedback policy in this Help article and I'd strongly advise you to review these resources in order to successfully build your career on Upwork.

Untitled
dawnt
18 of 19

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Dawn,

To clarify, clients can leave their feedback even if the freelancer doesn't. The message you saw referred to your client's feedback not being displayed publicly before you left feedback for them, or until 14 days pass from the date the contract was closed. You can read more about Upwork's feedback policy in this Help article and I'd strongly advise you to review these resources in order to successfully build your career on Upwork.

Oh gee.  Now what should I do?  I have to gamble on whether she decided to leave feedback or not.  My thought is that no feedback from her is better than bad feedback.  But if she leaves bad feedback and I leave no feedback...is that worse than mutual bad feedback?

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
19 of 19

@Dawn T wrote:
 Oh gee.  Now what should I do?  I have to gamble on whether she decided to leave feedback or not.  My thought is that no feedback from her is better than bad feedback.  But if she leaves bad feedback and I leave no feedback...is that worse than mutual bad feedback?

You have the ability to respond to a client's feedback so people can hear your side of the story. Just don't go off on a rant. Keep it nice and calm as well as professional and you will be fine.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS