🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is This Client Legitimate?
Page options
meaghanem
Community Member

Is This Client Legitimate?

Hello Upwork Community,

I am new to the freelancing game and have been applying to many jobs that seem like a fit for me. I applied for one job writing articles for the game industry and they asked me to contact their editor via email for more information about the job. I am concerned that this may be a scam, as I googled the company and could not find any information.

I did not provide them with any personal information, but I do have concerns as I have my profile photo, name, and they also now have my email address (which is created specifically for Upwork). 

I have yet to receive a reply to the email directed toward the editor, but I sent it very recently. 

I would just like confirmation as to whether this is a scam or a legitimate client. I can see that they are interviewing several other candidates for the posting.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Meaghan M.

Regardless whether a potential client may be a scam artist or not, Upwork has recently decided the only way you are allowed to communicate with that person is to use the Upwork VOIP system until the client and you have both agreed to a contract via the Upwork system.

I suggest you remove all personal contact information from any Web page or document a potential client might see. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Meaghan M.

Regardless whether a potential client may be a scam artist or not, Upwork has recently decided the only way you are allowed to communicate with that person is to use the Upwork VOIP system until the client and you have both agreed to a contract via the Upwork system.

I suggest you remove all personal contact information from any Web page or document a potential client might see. 

Ok, great! Thank you. I will send them a message on Upwork and request that they communicate through the message system. If they do not wish to continue correspondence, I will post an update here. Hopefully it is legitimate and I thank you for the update.

Meaghan M wrote:
Hopefully it is legitimate ...

Lol it isn't. Stop hoping. It's a scam.

That line, "please contact our editor at [email] for more information about the role" is a most popular scam line.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members