cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upwork fees 20% TOO high?

Ploychat T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
1 of 7

Anyone think that Upwork fees 20% TOO high?

I've just backed to find a job on Upwork and I'm shocked that Upwork fees have increased to 20%! I don't know why, but 2 years ago was just 8-10% (I'm not sure). I think 20% is too high and it is unfair for freelancers because you work same as usual but you need to pay for Upwork fees more than doubled. I think Upwork should remain that the income is from freelancers, they would find another website in one day if their deserved earnings are not worthy as they worked. 

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
2 of 7

IMO, is not, and is just for the first $500.

• 20% for the first $500 you bill a client across all contracts with them
  • 10% for total billings with a client between $500.01 and $10,000
  • 5% for total billings with a client that exceed $10,000

The more you bill a client the fee will decrease! But if you stay below, well it won't!

Another point you can increase your rate to adjust to the new fee.

Tanvir Ahmad A Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
3 of 7

Well but those who works on small projects ( Under $500) its too much for them. So it should have been 10% for 1$-5000$ and 5 % for 5001$-Up..

Thank you.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 7

I'm sorry to learn you feel this way, Tanvir Ahmad. Smaller contracts cost us more to serve than larger projects. The costs of acquiring clients, helping you connect with the right opportunities, and providing services like payment protection outweigh the fees currently charged for small projects. At the same time, larger, repeat projects incur fewer of these costs. To support our customers better, we’re increasing our fee on smaller projects and decreasing it when your relationships cross important thresholds. This provides our customers an incentive to continue building long and substantial relationships on Upwork, which we think will help ensure Upwork stays a vibrant marketplace now and in the future.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
5 of 7

This isn't going to change. Your best way to deal with it is to become a good freelancer and get steady, long-term clients. Once you pass $500 in earnings with a client, it drops to an entirely reasonable 10%.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 7

I really don't see it as such a huge issue. Take into consideration the time and hassle I would have spent billing a client, following up for payment, etc. etc. etc. and that percentage charged starts looking good. Besides, longer projects are my bread and butter. Small projects that I take on from time to time provide the jam.

Kate M Member Since: Jun 24, 2018
7 of 7

It is wayyy too high. With the fees this high, it is hard to say if I would stay or go when another freelancer site inevitably arrives and shows potential. It is terribly high. An agent only takes 10%. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS