cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upwork fees 20% TOO high?

Highlighted
Richard A Member Since: Nov 6, 2019
11 of 31

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.  An acotor's agent even does a lot of the leg work.  What does Upwork do besides acting as an online mediator and securing funds for SOME of the jobs.  And now Upwork has the gall to charge the freelancer a bidding fee on top of taking a 20% cut off the top.  They say that it is to cut down on the ammount of bids sent out.  In my case, there would be substantially less bids being sent out if clients weren't running away due to my rate that has been increased by 20% to compensate for Upwork's greediness.  I have no issue with paying Upwork a fair fee as they do provide a great service.  However,  20% plus bidding fees has just taken it too far in my humble opinion.  And let's face it.  The vast majority of contracts are below $500.00 for the type of clientel on the platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 31

Richard A wrote:

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.

That's like complaining that a banana can't drive a bus when even a pen can get ink on paper...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 31

Petra R wrote:

Richard A wrote:

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.

That's like complaining that a banana can't drive a bus when even a pen can get ink on paper...

I haven't had my coffee yet, so I ended up re-reading your comment about three times before I realised that it wasn't supposed to make sense! :-)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
14 of 31

And while comparing apples to bananas, my acting agent takes 25%.  So.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 31

Mary W wrote:

And while comparing apples to bananas, my acting agent takes 25%.  So.

I suggest you go and whine about it on their page Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
16 of 31

Richard A wrote:

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.  An acotor's agent even does a lot of the leg work.  What does Upwork do besides acting as an online mediator and securing funds for SOME of the jobs.  And now Upwork has the gall to charge the freelancer a bidding fee on top of taking a 20% cut off the top.  They say that it is to cut down on the ammount of bids sent out.  In my case, there would be substantially less bids being sent out if clients weren't running away due to my rate that has been increased by 20% to compensate for Upwork's greediness.  I have no issue with paying Upwork a fair fee as they do provide a great service.  However,  20% plus bidding fees has just taken it too far in my humble opinion.  And let's face it.  The vast majority of contracts are below $500.00 for the type of clientel on the platform.

In my line of work there are third party recruiters and they typically charge a third on top of the rate you are presented to the client with.  The rate you get for your work is not of your choosing it is whatever is left over with what they negotiate to the client and the their third.  Sometimes you can wiggle a few extra bucks per hour out of it and the recruiter gets a little less cheese.  They get their cheese for finding you the customer.  They actually do a lot more legwork and sell you so they deserve a little more.

My example might be just as pointless as yours except for one little thing.  On Upwork you can choose your own rate, it is one of the things I very much like about it and one of the things I fear the most that they will mess with.  If 20% is too much for you, the charge 20% more, which means you are more likely to get to $500.00 faster, which means even more cheese for you.

A wise man with a big, green, bald head once said that mindset is important and I think the mindset people should have is they are running a business and as such they should consider their costs when considering the price of their offering.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
John D Member Since: Jan 20, 2019
17 of 31
Upwork fees are extremely reasonable. You should see what my recruiter is making on my current contract.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian C Member Since: Oct 27, 2019
18 of 31

Upwork fees are extremely unreasonable for what they do (or NOT do) to protect the freelancers.

Highlighted
Jim G Member Since: Jun 9, 2019
19 of 31

A while back I was into pastel landscapes. I was able to show at a certain event at a gallery once.

My painting sold for $500!

The gallery's cut was 40%!!!

So 20% ain't too bad.

It just sucks when you see it on every proposal you make.

Highlighted
Jim G Member Since: Jun 9, 2019
20 of 31

And for anyone who says "raise your rates to make up for it,' I lost 2 jobs in 10 days for doing that.
They were small jobs, <300, but I was looking at what I'm making rather than what they are paying.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS