Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Is Upwork fees 20% TOO high?

90e4a451
Ace Contributor
Eni M Member Since: Dec 21, 2020
21 of 59
My total earnings are600+ and i still have 20% fee. Why?
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 59

Eni M wrote:
My total earnings are600+ and i still have 20% fee. Why?

Because the fee tiers are per client. Not overall. 

Once you have been paid over $500 by any one particular client, your fee for contracts with that (!) client (only) drops to 10%

katemartinvo
Active Member
Kate M Member Since: Jun 24, 2018
23 of 59

It is wayyy too high. With the fees this high, it is hard to say if I would stay or go when another freelancer site inevitably arrives and shows potential. It is terribly high. An agent only takes 10%. 

hoyle_editing
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
24 of 59

Kate M wrote:

It is wayyy too high. With the fees this high, it is hard to say if I would stay or go when another freelancer site inevitably arrives and shows potential. It is terribly high. An agent only takes 10%. 


There are already a number of other options for sourcing work, clearly none of them 'show potential' as you are still here. This suggests to me, that in order for a site to provide the kind of services that 'show potential'  and compete with Upwork, they would likely need to charge a higher rate than the others (20%).

 

The majority of my work has been in the 'under $500' fold, but i am working to try and build a base of clients that are in the >$500 / 10% range. Its better for upwork and its better for me. WIN WIN!

 

 

richard_angle
Active Member
Richard A Member Since: Nov 6, 2019
25 of 59

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.  An acotor's agent even does a lot of the leg work.  What does Upwork do besides acting as an online mediator and securing funds for SOME of the jobs.  And now Upwork has the gall to charge the freelancer a bidding fee on top of taking a 20% cut off the top.  They say that it is to cut down on the ammount of bids sent out.  In my case, there would be substantially less bids being sent out if clients weren't running away due to my rate that has been increased by 20% to compensate for Upwork's greediness.  I have no issue with paying Upwork a fair fee as they do provide a great service.  However,  20% plus bidding fees has just taken it too far in my humble opinion.  And let's face it.  The vast majority of contracts are below $500.00 for the type of clientel on the platform.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 59

Richard A wrote:

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.


That's like complaining that a banana can't drive a bus when even a pen can get ink on paper...

 

 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
27 of 59

Petra R wrote:

Richard A wrote:

Considering that actors' agents average 10%, I do believe that 20% from Upwork is rather costly.


That's like complaining that a banana can't drive a bus when even a pen can get ink on paper...


I haven't had my coffee yet, so I ended up re-reading your comment about three times before I realised that it wasn't supposed to make sense! :-)

 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
28 of 59

And while comparing apples to bananas, my acting agent takes 25%.  So.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 59

Mary W wrote:

And while comparing apples to bananas, my acting agent takes 25%.  So.


I suggest you go and whine about it on their page Smiley Very Happy

 

784aba84
Active Member
Aurelien P Member Since: Oct 28, 2020
30 of 59

Thread populated by community gurus. No point to say anything here, that such fact is a clear signal about the answer to the question.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS