Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upwork worth it? Struggling to get responses

stephaniemalyon
Stephanie M Member Since: Jun 11, 2016
1 of 14

Hello Upworkers 

I can see the potential of Upwork - there seem to be a lot of freelancers out there doing well from it. But cracking it is proving really hard. I'm having the same issues as others - declined proposals or no reponses. EVEN for one off blog jobs where I have extensive subject knowledge.

I have 15+ years experience in communications. I've been through profiles of top rated freelancers in the same field, and apart from a list of jobs on Upwork, I'd say they were pretty comparable. 

Is it time to give up? I refuse to start on the $0.20 for 1000 words jobs... 

Any and all advice welcomed!

Thanks in advance

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 14

Yep.

stephaniemalyon
Stephanie M Member Since: Jun 11, 2016
3 of 14

Yep is it worth it or yep it's time to give up..?

And if 'yep, it's worth it', do you have any advice as to what I can do to improve my prospects? 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 14

@Stephanie M wrote:

And if 'yep, it's worth it', do you have any advice as to what I can do to improve my prospects? 

Yes, it's worth it, but not as your only source of income. May work for few, but not a smart move if you ask me.

The most important thing is a solid portfolio (watermarked), and very well targetted cover letters, which is a skill that you'll learn with time.

Which brings us to patience. A lot of it is needed, and one must resist the urge to accept cr*p paying jobs to get some cred.

Also, you may want to expand your profile and highlight what your services are and what you can do for the client. Browse other profiles and get inspiration. But never copy, like zombies do.

And the last but not the least, you need to learn to filter out the cheap clients. There are professional clients out there, but one needs to find them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 14

I mean yep it's worth it. Gotta figure out how to send good proposals.

anelia-pavlova
Anelia P Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
6 of 14

Yes, why not? Upwork take an expensive fee of 20 percent (on most of the cases), but other than that it is still an opportunity, and every day new jobs came up, so yes. It is worthy searching for a job here, maybe it is not so searching for that only here, but me personally I just do not have the time to register, and build profiles on other sites. So do some proposals, only on the best jobs for you, and do not take it very hard, eventually someone will respond. Smiley Happy

coolsdudes1992
Ace Contributor
Daniyal A Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
7 of 14

For me its worth it! Its the only source of income for me and its really great. What you have to do is to stay clam and keep applying, you know i didn't get any job for my first 3 months. I am attach with this platform form 4-5 years now i have quite my traditional job (because for me it really sucks now to do job under someone rather then doing job with someone) Best of luck!

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
8 of 14

Yep, definitely worth it. It takes time to start, but I'm very happy here.

jamesbyun
James B Member Since: Jul 3, 2016
9 of 14

this is a little off topic, but since you been here for awhile.

Is there a option on upwork to look based on cities then just the entire country itself?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 14

Can you search for specific cities?

I have entered the name of my city or state into the general search field in the Advanced Search tool, and I have often found local job postings.

I don't know how universal this is, or how effective it is.

I think this may only be finding jobs in which the city or state name is actually mentioned in the job description... The search might not be keying in on the client's stated location at all. But one CAN find local jobs this way.

It may be somewhere between "better than nothing" and "always effective."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS