Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upwork worth it? Struggling to get responses

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 14

I actually don't like to bid on jobs where they are in the same city. They always expect me to travel to their location and I have to tell them NO.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 14

@James B wrote:

this is a little off topic,

Also a little ( OK, a lot) off topic......

James B - **Edited for Community Guidelines**

OP - Yes, it is worth it. Yes, it IS hard work to get established, Yes, it DOES take time, and No, it will not work for everyone.

But when it does work out it's pretty d*mn amazing Smiley Happy

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 14

You're wise to avoid starting on low-end jobs; it's not really a start at all, but a self-perpetuating trap.

What I would suggest is that you focus bids on jobs in arenas you have specific experience in. There are a million writers (maybe literally) on Upwork, so it will be tough in the beginning to sell yourself based solely on your writing skills. 

Seek out jobs that fall into niches where you have specific experience, whether as a writer or hands-on, and lead your pitch with the fact that in addition to X years of professional writing or marketing writing or whatever experience, you also know the Y industry in depth from your years of Zing.

kim_wong
Community Leader
Kim W Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
14 of 14

Definitely worth sticking it out.  It takes time to establish yourself and plan on doing a lot of tweaking to your profile. Take the time and read the profiles of Top Rated freelancers in your same area of work.  See how they structure and layout their profile.  Focus on your strengths and uniqueness.  Like almost every selling document, the first couple of sentences need to clearly present yourself.

I have only been active on Upwork since January of this year and I've tweaked a lifetime full of little changes. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS