🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is a new client on Upwork insist ask your ema...
Page options
6a812bfc
Community Member

Is a new client on Upwork insist ask your email adress is a scammer?

Hello, I'm a newbie here, could you guys can help me in this case? I'm really confused, thanks in advance 🙂

These days I received 2 offers directly without speaking to the client before.

They are all new, On the day they registered on Upwork, they sent me an offer, and their payment was verified.

They all asked me to work for them, the missions are relevant (in the social media marketing field) but not exactly fit with my work experiences.

When I ask for more information about the job and the company, they insist I give them my email address, or social media account, to check if I can do this or not.

I asked the first client, If you need me to manage your social media account, why do you need my account? Then he didn't reply anymore.

The second insisted on asking for my email and insisted on sending me the information about the company and the mission because it's the company's secret so she can't communicate with me on Upwork, even though I told her that I just needed to know the information about the introduction of her company, and the mission for this job, I'm not asking any sort of 'company secret', and communicate through Upwork is Upwork's rules...

So I'm so confused. Are they doing this because they're new, or they are simply scammers?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hi Jingyu,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the clients. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PradeepH

Hi Jingyu,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the clients. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep, thanks 🙂

Nobody should ever be asking you for your email. This should be the first indication that it is a scam.

6a812bfc
Community Member

Hi Pradeep,thanks 🙂

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I wouldn't dismiss such a client out of hand as a fraud - too many clients make too little effort to understand Upwork's rules, which results in them demanding freelancers risk their access to Upwork by violating Upwork's rules.

In the future, send a client who makes such a request/demand the following link...

Get to know each other before a contract – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

..so the honest ones can understand how Upwork works in this respect and the dishonest ones know they need to go elsewhere to commit their fraud.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members