cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone getting a ton of requests that don't match their profile?

Kammy W Member Since: Apr 30, 2015
1 of 13

Hi!

I've been on oDesk/Upwork for several years. In the past few weeks I've been getting anywhere from 5-20 requests per day from people hoping I will write things for them -- but I'm an editor and proofreader, and my profile states that clearly. Initially I was flattered. Now it's getting annoying. Is there a way for people to filter searches?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 13

@Kammy W wrote:

Hi!

I've been on oDesk/Upwork for several years. In the past few weeks I've been getting anywhere from 5-20 requests per day from people hoping I will write things for them -- but I'm an editor and proofreader, and my profile states that clearly. Initially I was flattered. Now it's getting annoying. Is there a way for people to filter searches?

Yes the same is happening to me. I have one category I subscribe to. Resumes and Cover Letters. All my job skills listed refer to this category. Yet I get invited to Web Developer Jobs, Graphic Jobs and everything else inappropriate. Every morning I wake up to new invites that have nothing to do with my skills. It's demoralizing first thing every morning.

Mohammad Usman U Member Since: May 8, 2015
3 of 13

right saying, i don't know what is heppening here, please some thing theee best for all of us.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 13
In the past couple months I have experienced a huge increase in invites, but all of them except for one have been extremely appropriate for my skills.

These days I often keep my availability setting set to unavailable in order to limit these invites.
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
5 of 13

Same here. Yesterday alone I received 3 invites for editing. I am a graphic designer, not an editor. 

Jean, I got one that was for cover letter writing. Maybe I can send you that invite and you can send me your graphic design ones Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 13

@Kami the OP

I have exactly the same problem as yours - getting invites for tons of writing jobs even though I'm set as an editor and proofreader (and have written I AM NOT A WR*TER all over my profile. There are three reasons:

a) Upwork (God, I hate that)  insists on putting editing as a subcategory of writing, which it  patently isn't.

b) the robots/algorithms do not have any greater capabilities than treating everything in a main category and all its subcategories as the same.

c) Many cients are lazy and/or naive enough to think that Updesk will do  a good job of choosing freelancers for  them without them having to do any looking themselves.

So, as long as they keep proofing and editing as a subcategory of writing, and/or until they massively improve     the intelligence of their algorithms (or the people who write them) you will continue to receive these invitations - and continue to be punished if you don't quickly respond to them. Just tell them that you wouldn't consider working for someone who can't read. And hope that you'll get the occasional invitation for editing and proofing that doesn't get missed in the sea of writing jobs.

Good luck - hang on in there.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 13

@Stephen: consider putting that asterisk * in the word "writing", which appears a few times in your overview. Maybe the robots are picking those up, and perhaps some clients search using the keyword "writing" and obviously don't read your profile.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 13

Isabelle Anne

Have a look it's already there, and since i put it in it hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 13

No I mean in all these instances:

- I am not a good fit for your writing job

- publications, and analysis tools and report writing.

- science/medical writing and analysis

None of the above (on my screen) have asterisks & the system is probably picking up on them.

EDIT: although that's of course not the best solution. And who wants asterisks all over their profile.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
10 of 13

This has been an ongoing problem for a lot of users, across many job categories and skill sets.

I offer a very specific service to a small set of clients on Upwork. But whenver my profile is set to accept private invites, I get invites for jobs completly outside the niche I support.

I'd hate to clutter up my profile with a bunch of ***'s. Surely there is a better way. Oh yes, there is. Fix the Mad Robot.

...Don't hold your breath.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS