cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is client going against Upwork policy if asking me to do work without official contract?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 13

Isidora K wrote:

I didn't really threaten her, I just informed her that working without a contract is violating Upwork rules.

Working without a contract is not a violation. Asking freelancers to do free work is.

Isidora K wrote:

EDIT: I did mention it is possible for us to report each other under those circumstances.

You said "After I have informed them that I am willing to report their profile"

Ultimately, if you want to accept the contract, that is your choice. I personally wouldn't.

isidora7
Isidora K Member Since: Jul 22, 2019
12 of 13

Thank you for your feedback,
I haven't realized I typed my message in such a manner, as I had been very nervous about the whole situation.
Also, I didn't realize the problem was with the client asking me to do work for free, I thought any work here without an official contract was violating rules. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 13

re: "I thought any work here without an official contract was violating rules. "

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

It is not a violation of Upwork TOS for a freelancer to work for free. But this is generally regarded as foolish - because the point of this platform is for freelancers to earn money.

And Forum participants regularly point out that if freelancers work for free, it drags the platform down for all of its users.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS