cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is cmon.exe part of the standard Upwork Time Tracker installation?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Aleksandr H Member Since: Jan 29, 2017
1 of 5

I noticed an unfamiliar process running in Task Manager today:

Capture.GIF

Googling it doesn't bring much information, but it's honestly very concerning because it only recently appeared. Right-clicking the process and going to its file location brings me to the Upwork installation folder:

Capture.GIF

I'm worried that this could potentially be malware that installed itself under that folder. To rule out that possibility, I was wondering if someone (support reps or freelancers) could verify whether this is a safe/legitimate program associated with the Upwork time tracker. And if so, what does it do?

Thanks!

Artur M Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
2 of 5

Hello,
Unfortunately I cannot tell what that file is and does, but about Time Tracker I can say this:
Old trick returned again. New version 5.1.0.562 of Time Tracker is working badly, time after time it occupies 90% of CPU making my PC freeze, hindering my work, my efficiency. I had the same issue 6 months ago. Former version 4.2.153.0. was working fine.
So, there is a doubt that app occupying 90% of CPU may be used to generate bitcoins for somebody else. Upwork support people deny this to be the case, but they don't tell what the app is doing during that time.
Regards!

Community Leader
3 of 5

Hoping to get a response from some of the moderators. I submitted a support ticket 5 days ago and have yet to hear back.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 5

Hi Aleksandr,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your ticket and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Leader
5 of 5

Much appreciated. Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS