🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it Upwork or the freelancer who deals with...
Page options
svuchev
Community Member

Is it Upwork or the freelancer who deals with the VAT issues

Hello guys,

Looking to start work as a freelancer on the platform, I consider different options to deal with my taxes. One suitable option is to start a Ltd company with VAT registration. I am situated in Bulgaria, EU.

In any case, I need to know if Upwork does all the VAT stuff between the freelancer and the client or I should care about any single client I work with. Is it the client or actually Upwork the one that pays me the money?

Best regards,

Stoyan

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stoyan,

Please note that Upwork is applying and remitting VAT only on its service fee, membership fee and for purchasing additional Connects, in case a freelancer from the EU doesn't provide a valid VAT number. Upwork does not act as an employer or otherwise engage you,  you'll need to consult a local tax advisor regarding any charges that might apply to the services you provide to your clients.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stoyan,

Please note that Upwork is applying and remitting VAT only on its service fee, membership fee and for purchasing additional Connects, in case a freelancer from the EU doesn't provide a valid VAT number. Upwork does not act as an employer or otherwise engage you,  you'll need to consult a local tax advisor regarding any charges that might apply to the services you provide to your clients.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members