🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it a Scam?
Page options
28e04cb7
Community Member

Is it a Scam?

Applied for a telecommunication job and they gave me a link to do a test outside upwork.( I am new by the way). I did the test and they said I passed now they said I should fill out another from which is also outside upwork here is the link:  **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Is this a scam because the way they want all my information is a bit dodgey to me like Address,Iban number etc.Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The test seems to have been via a link to a Google Forms page. I'm not sure if that counts as offsite communication.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
roberty1y
Community Member

Scam. At least 90 per cent of job offers you get will be scams. They prefer new members, knowing they're eager to land their first job.

jr-translation
Community Member

Read this and then ask yourself the question.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I am new by the way

That is obvious. Otherwise you would know that this is strictly forbidden. You are risking your profile with this.

The test seems to have been via a link to a Google Forms page. I'm not sure if that counts as offsite communication.

It does. 

If the client wants a test, he needs to hire her first.

Robert Y wrote:

I suppose it will be. In any case, just from the information they ask for, you should already know that it is not normal.
A little more and they ask for the shoe size 🤔

My shoe size is too personal. Who knows what they'd do with that kind of info? I'd rather give them my Social Security number.

Maria T wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

I suppose it will be. In any case, just from the information they ask for, you should already know that it is not normal.
A little more and they ask for the shoe size 🤔

That would be less harm than the bank info.

4695e8e3
Community Member

It's a scam and its a lot more complicated then that upwork doesn't vet their clients. Don't ever communicate off of the platform.  They will post scams knowing that they are scams bc people willk still purchase connects to apply for fraduakant jobs. An upwork employee told me this.

Alfreda L wrote:

It's a scam and its a lot more complicated then that upwork doesn't vet their clients.

Nor do they vet the freelancers when they open an account claiming they have read, understood, and accepted the ToS.

Alfreda L wrote:

They will post scams knowing that they are scams bc people willk still purchase connects to apply for fraduakant jobs. An upwork employee told me this.

Did this employee also tell you that connects are refunded if jobs are removed by Upwork?

An Upwork employee told you that they deliberately post scams to steal your connects? 

Alfreda L wrote:

It's a scam and its a lot more complicated then that upwork doesn't vet their clients. Don't ever communicate off of the platform.  They will post scams knowing that they are scams bc people willk still purchase connects to apply for fraduakant jobs. An upwork employee told me this.

LOL

petra_r
Community Member

Alfreda L wrote:

They will post scams knowing that they are scams bc people willk still purchase connects to apply for fraduakant jobs. An upwork employee told me this.

Nonsense.

Alfreda L wrote:

I guess it would be a response to some query to CS or a private message?
You don't know what I would like to see that answer.
Could you show it? deleting the data of who answered you I don't think they will edit it.

The great Upwork connects scandal. This could be bigger than the Enron case when the story breaks.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Total scam.

statusenglish
Community Member

Unfortunately, the number of scam offers has increased exponentially in the past months. It's been hard to track the legit ones when they are in the middle of so many scam attempts.

d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

It's becoming worrisome with the number of scam jobs posted each hour in Upwork. Some want you to contact them on telegram, Whatsapp, Viber, etc. Just recently, I got an offer willing to pay me $1000 weekly just to post pictures on Facebook Market Place. 

Right now, I think what Upwork needs to do is to allow clients to verify their payment method before they can post jobs. I feel this is the only way to kick out those scammers

David S wrote:

It's becoming worrisome with the number of scam jobs posted each hour in Upwork. Some want you to contact them on telegram, Whatsapp, Viber, etc. Just recently, I got an offer willing to pay me $1000 weekly just to post pictures on Facebook Market Place. 

Right now, I think what Upwork needs to do is to allow clients to verify their payment method before they can post jobs. I feel this is the only way to kick out those scammers

One more, no, please.
You can search the forums for all the times this has been discussed. It will not be done.

When I joined Upwork a year ago, this wasn't that rampant.  Right now they're everywhere. What's the solution and how do you protect new freelancers from becoming victims? I know quite a few freelancers in my area, I had to stop them, else they were about to be scammed.  They applied for the job here on Upwork and the client replied. The next thing was to sign an NDA. And from NDA other stories sprang up. The client asked them to pay $50 for an ID Card blah blah blah. 

This client wasn't removed from the platform until 2 days later

David S wrote:

This client wasn't removed from the platform until 2 days later

He's probably back again by now with a new client account. There's only one thing that will drive these people away. It's for freelancers to know they shouldn't contact anyone outside the site without a contract, and also never buy anything for anyone or pay them money (part of the terms of service everybody agrees to when they sign up here). Abide by these two rules and you're untouchable. With nobody to fall for their scams, the scammers will disappear.

Good luck getting millions of freelancers to all do that. That solution is as unrealistic as expecting Upwork to be able to stop all scam posts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members