Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a glitch?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lisa M Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
1 of 41

Job posters names seem to have disappeared from my submitted proposals. Is this a glitch, is it just something wrong with my account, or has Upwork decided to hide those names from freelancers, even though we've spent connects to submit a proposal and that info can help us glean a little more info on a potential client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
2 of 41

The names have also been removed from my proposals - including those that I am interviewing with.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 41

Hi Lisa and Joan,

Could you please clarify which page you are referring to? It's been a while since this post where we announced that client names won't show on submitted proposals until the proposal is accepted and the interview room is set.

Joan, I checked a couple of active proposals (interviews) of yours and the client name shows on those in the upper right corner. Please, let me know if you are referring to a different page.

Edited to update: I believe I found what you are referring to and will further investigate this.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 41

Confused - when did you ever announce that client names would no longer show up on submitted proposals? Until yesterday, on my proposal page, I could see all names of clients on every job to which I submitted a proposal. Not only am I now paying nearly $1 per proposal, most of which go nowhere because the clients never hire but don't close the job inside of 30 days so I don't get refunded, but now I can't even see who they are?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 41

So I asked why the client names have suddenly been removed from submitted proposals and received this entirely unsatisfactory response, which doesn't even address or answer my question. When was this NEW policy announced? Apparently I missed it. What is the reason? Some bogus attempt at increased client confidentiality? Why can't I get a straight answer?

**Edited for community guidelines**

Are you kidding? I don't need screen shots to show me where to find the name of a client, I want to know why UW has suddenly, and without informing us, decided to remove names from posts to which we've submitted proposals! They were there yesterday and today they're gone, so you've eliminated yet another tool that was beneficial to freelancers, I assume for the benefit of the client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
6 of 41

Why does it matter to you?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 41

Mark F wrote:

Why does it matter to you?

Apparently, Upwork isn't permitted to change anything without some freelancers' consent. Can you imagine having to notify every client you've ever worked with each time you decided to change something about your business? Oh, dear clients, I'm no longer setting my alarm for 9 a.m., I've decided to start getting up at 9:30. 🙄

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
8 of 41

Lisa, I'm not 100% sure but I think this may have been a bug (showing clients' names when you just submit a proposal).

I don't think client's name is supposed to show up unless they invited you to a job or replied to your proposal. Otherwise, what would be the point in hiding clients' names from RFPs if you can just see them as soon as you apply.

I don't remember the names being visible before [unless invited or contacted], so I really think it was a bug that just got quietly fixed. Upwork devs giveth and Upwork devs taketh away.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 41

Ines, thanks, but it was absolutely not a 'bug.' I've always been able to see client names once I've used connects to submit a proposal (which are now costing me .90/apiece because most of the jobs I submit on are 6 connects).. It has been helpful to do a tiny bit of due diligence on who you're hoping to work with, so, for example, on a job I'm really hoping to get, I might do a quick LinkedIn search or even a google search to have a better idea about the potential client and see if they're legit, etc.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jennifer P Member Since: Jun 9, 2017
10 of 41
I can vouch that it was definitely not a bug. I could see all clients names after I submitted a proposal up until this morning.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS