cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a glitch?

Kirtan T Member Since: Jun 13, 2017
21 of 41

I am totally with you Lisa!. We freelancers don't aim to misuse the visibility of the client's name but we need it for the duedeligence as you said.

I request upwork to re consider this request and roll back! Freelancers who are paying for connects and also percentage of the project as fees must be given certain valude added service which we deserve. 

Also, I request Upwork to make some policy for certain segement of job posters who are just posting jobs and not making any hiring decision. Every single penny earned is important to every one of us. If for Upwork 0.15 $ matters then for freelancers certainly 0.90$ would. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 41

Hi All,

We have confirmed that this change was made intentionally. For privacy reasons we do not show client names on the proposals page and on proposals that have been sent but not yet accepted. You will still be able to see the name of the client once the interview is initiated. Sorry about the confusion once again.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Lisa M Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
23 of 41

uh huh, and you did it surreptitiously, hoping no one would notice, so thanks for that. Awesome.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
24 of 41

Hi Lisa, Joan, Jennifer,

I'd like to reiterate that this is not a recent change and Valeria shared the announcement post dating from 2017 in her second post, in which the update about how client and freelancer names are displayed on the site prior to interviewing was announced as well as the rationale for it.

If you take a look at that post, you can see that Lena outlined that while client names are hidden in proposals and on job posts until the freelancer and client have connected in Upwork Messages to interview, you’ll be able to see their name on invitations to interview if you've worked with a client previously. This might be the reason why you might not have noticed the change which has been in place for more than two years.

Let us know if you have any further questions and we'll gladly follow up to advise.

Victoria C Member Since: Jun 18, 2019
25 of 41

It was definitely a recent change for me. I remember seeing names on Friday. And I also would research companies to make sure I was applying to legit people. Clients claim a lot of things in their proposals...

Policy might've been made in 2017, but it took a couple of years to implement. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 41

Vladimir G wrote:

I'd like to reiterate that this is not a recent change

Actually, it is. No amount of reiterating changes that. Repeating something that isn't true does not magically render it so Smiley Wink

For a while now, and up until a few days ago, it was possible to see the client's name after (!) sending a proposal and prior (!) to the interview.

Whether that was by design or accidentally (bug?) is unclear, but it was "a thing" and now it no longer is. That makes it "a recent change."

When I first noticed the names showing, I was actually surprised that they were showing, but it is not true to say that them now no longer showing isn't a recent change because it is.

Vladimir G wrote, about invites, which is not what we're talking about:

This might be the reason why you might not have noticed the change which has been in place for more than two years.

Nope. That simply isn't true. I can absolutely assure you that up until a few days ago, the client's name was showing on a proposal after that proposal has been made and prior to us being contacted back by the client. I don't think that has been happening for a long time, or at least I never noticed it before, but over the past few months it categorically and without any shadow of a doubt has been.

Personally, I don't miss it - but it did exist and telling us we were confused or **Edited for Community Guidelines** does not change the facts.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
27 of 41

Hi Petra,

You are correct, I was advised earlier today that our team recently implemented an update in order to apply the correct process of not displaying client names on proposals in the similar way they aren't displayed on job posts. This update had been announced and implemented in 2016 and I wasn't aware of the events that have taken place in the meantime, and apologize for sharing incorrect information about this not being a recent change.

Lisa B Member Since: May 16, 2017
28 of 41

Upwork isn't protecting the anonminity of clients, they're protecting themselves at the expense (literally $) of freelancers.  Upwork doesn't want people getting paid off their platform, otherwise they'd just ban the freelancers who contact clients directly.  Do clients know that freelancers pay three different ways to use this platform?  Monthly, buying connects and percentage of earnings.  Some job posts are so vague, it seems like clients' are unaware that freelancers are paying just to apply to their position.  Also, way too many jobs I apply to (and spend credits on) end up with no hire on the platform; if there is no hire, then Upwork should refund credits to the freelancers who applied-- that is the only way to ensure fairness since they took away our ability to verify the legitimacy of the job/company.  How do we know that Upwork isn't posting phoney jobs to make it look like their platfrom has lot to offer?   As freelancers we need to speak up with regards to this issue or move to another platform altogether...

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
29 of 41

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Lisa, Joan, Jennifer,

I'd like to reiterate that this is not a recent change and Valeria shared the announcement post dating from 2017 in her second post, in which the update about how client and freelancer names are displayed on the site prior to interviewing was announced as well as the rationale for it.

If you take a look at that post, you can see that Lena outlined that while client names are hidden in proposals and on job posts until the freelancer and client have connected in Upwork Messages to interview, you’ll be able to see their name on invitations to interview if you've worked with a client previously. This might be the reason why you might not have noticed the change which has been in place for more than two years.

Let us know if you have any further questions and we'll gladly follow up to advise.

Valdimir, that's how it was supposed to be - but it wasn't.

I knew for a while that I wasn't supposed to see client names on submitted proposals but I could. ALL THE NAMES. Not just those of people I had worked with before.

It was a bug and I know several people who, like me, would never have have mentioned it here because, for once, it was a GOOD bug. Unfortunately, it got fixed eventually...

ETA: I only read Petra and Vlad's latest replies after reacting to an earlier post.

Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
30 of 41

I support your decision of hiding clients name until the interview stage. 

But previously after submitting a proposal I could see the number of applicants applied to the job like 27, 14 etc. But now after submitting the proposal I am only viewing 5 to 10 proposals, 20 to 50 proposals. See the attached screenshot. 

Was this change also implemented or is it just me...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS