Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a glitch?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
31 of 41

Hi Namita,

Thank you for the question, I moved your post to this thread since it's discussing the same topic and the announcement thread you posted on hasn't seen any activity since 2017.

Here's the thread we announced the change in the way proposal count appears on job posts and proposal pages back in 2016.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
32 of 41

Thanks Vladimir, 

I wasn't even on upwork in 2016. But up until last week after applying to any job post I was able to view the exact number of applicants on my proposal page. But now it's gone. I am only viewing the proposal range. Why so....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
33 of 41

Valeria - Doesn't Upwork think that a change like this should have been announced instead of doing it surreptitiously?

Highlighted
Deon H Member Since: Jul 30, 2019
34 of 41

Hello,

I was just submitting more proposals when I realized the client information from the proposals I sent were gone. It used to display either the persons first name or the company name along with their title, and doesn't have that information any more. Was there a new update that caused this to happen or some type of glitch? Either way, it's terrible. I have no idea who I would be working for or no way to reach out to the client and it impedes my ability to get work severely. Is this going to be fixed, and if so, how soon?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
35 of 41

I read somewhere on the forum that it was done deliberately - to stop freelancers from contacting clients off the platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
36 of 41

Deon and others,  if the buyer contacts you for further clarification on your proposal his/her name will then become visible.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
37 of 41

with these new policy changes, I'm beggining to feel like a boiling frog... 

Highlighted
Deon H Member Since: Jul 30, 2019
38 of 41
How can we be of any help to a client if we don't have a way to address them and their business specifically based on their proposal? That doesn't make any sense.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
39 of 41

Deon H wrote:

I have no way to reach out to the client and it impedes my ability to get work severely.

And THAT is exactly why this had to be done. Because unprofessional **Edited for Community Guidelines** were "reaching out" to clients outside the platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
40 of 41

In case any of you are still not understanding why Upwork would do this, how about this little gem on this reddit thread:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS