cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it allowed to ask for unpaid trial?

mahadi_du
Ace Contributor

About an hour ago I received a message from a potential client. She is asking "Are you available immediately for a 3 hour trial (unpaid)?"

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now my question is, is it allowed to ask for unpaid trial work?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can comprehend this happening to a newbie, but the OP has 98% JS & 600+ hours. The "client" needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice. Robot Mad

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahadi,

Requesting free work is not allowed according to the Upwork ToS. I'll forward your report to the team for a review.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Mahadi,

Requesting free work is not allowed according to the Upwork ToS. I'll forward your report to the team for a review.

Thank you.

Thanks a lot Valeria for your answer and initiative. Actually I am concerned about new freelanccers who would probably agree to take free trial and won't get anything in return. My sole purpose of this post was to make awareness about the issue and was expecting to hear that Upwork would take a measurable action to stop asking free work as a whole. Looking forward to hear it in near future. Thank you.

Hi I was wondering if you would be able to tell me which section says that they can't ask for an unpaid trial because I just had someone ask me and I would like to reference exactly where it says that for their review. Thank you!

Hi Lia,

You can find that info in section 1.2 of our ToS.

"Requesting, demanding, or receiving free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount."

~Nina
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS