🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it allowed to ask to open a new contra...
Page options
lucascrsm
Community Member

Is it allowed to ask to open a new contract?

Hello and thanks for stopping by,

My score was severely affected by a scan once and, although it has been recovering, it could use some improvement. As I have a long-term client, his feedback is probably a good way to balance that.

Is it allowed by Upwork to ask him to close the contract and open a new one with that purpose?

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

I don't think it's a good strategy.  You don't want to ruffle any feathers.  And one good feedback doesn't guarantee a much higher JSS.  If the relationship is good, continue. 

Try not to focus too much on your JSS but more on your responses highlighting the good feedback you've received.  Once you've received and completed more projects with satisfaction, your JSS will go up. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

I don't think it's a good strategy.  You don't want to ruffle any feathers.  And one good feedback doesn't guarantee a much higher JSS.  If the relationship is good, continue. 

Try not to focus too much on your JSS but more on your responses highlighting the good feedback you've received.  Once you've received and completed more projects with satisfaction, your JSS will go up. 

Good luck!

Robin H wrote:

Good luck!

I have pondered this quite a bit.  I have had just a few jobs, relative to a lot of people I have seen anyway, and each one has more potential to effect my JSS.  I don't believe that JSS is something to worry about but that does not mean it isn't something to think about.

What I have decided personally is if there is a natural point, where the project has it's own transition, then I will encourage the client to start a new project.  Often this is because what they are asking me to do is different than what they initially engaged me to do, why not be able to point to my history and say I have done that.  But I also see the advantage of booking some of the client's current good will against my JSS.

And I say current because it's a reality that no matter how wonderful I am things could go sideways over the slightest of things.

petra_r
Community Member

Lucas S wrote:

My score was severely affected by a scan once

There is no way one contract could possibly have knocked your JSS down to 75% - you must have had several contracts with poor private feedback. You were marked down for skills and quality by 4 out of the 11 clients who left you feedback... That's a third.

What is your private feedback percentage like? Around the two thirds ballpark?

Something is going wrong, likely you also fish in the part of the client pool where the worst (cheapest,lowest budget, most demanding and meanest) clients wait for freelancers to churn out millions of words for a pittance.

Lucas S wrote:

As I have a long-term client, his feedback is probably a good way to balance that.

Is it allowed by Upwork to ask him to close the contract and open a new one with that purpose?

It's not forbidden. It will  not get to the root of the problem though. If a third of your clients are not happy with the quality of your work, you need to make some changes. Identify what is going wrong and change that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths