🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it allowed to exchange phone numbers or sk...
Page options
joe_the_trader
Community Member

Is it allowed to exchange phone numbers or skype or zoom on upwork messenger? Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joe,

I would like to confirm that you can use any third-party software to communicate with your client as this is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

However, I would recommend that you communicate with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform, and use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab. It's always best to submit contract negotiations (and work) through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joe,

I would like to confirm that you can use any third-party software to communicate with your client as this is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

However, I would recommend that you communicate with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform, and use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab. It's always best to submit contract negotiations (and work) through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank You Aleksandar for your help.

avalanche1
Community Member

For anyone reading this after 2020. This info is OBSOLETE.

Upwork changed their policy and now prohibits any communication outside upwork, before a contract has started.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Contact-Information-Sharing

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths