🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it allowed to use Skype as a communica...
Page options
attilavarga
Community Member

Is it allowed to use Skype as a communication tool?

Hi people,

Not sure about this.

Is it allowed to use Skype as a communication tool? If Yes, When and How?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Attila,

Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is formed is not allowed. Once you`re hired on an official contract you can communicate with your client using the method that is the best fit for both sides.

To learn more about this, check out our announcement post Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I received emails from Upwork to set up interview with two companies.  I went through the process and was hired.  They are sending me equipment and or a check to purchase equipment.  Is this legit?

"I received emails from Upwork to set up interview with two companies.  I went through the process and was hired.  They are sending me equipment and or a check to purchase equipment.  Is this legit?"

----------------

No. Do not deposit the check. And don't communicate with any clients off platform until after a contract has gone into effect.

Let's think about this.

Why would any company send anyone a check for equipment when they could simply order the equipment and have it sent?

This is a scam job.  You don't have a contract on Upwork, you were never hired.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kelli,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the projects have already been taken down due to the violation of Upwork's TOS and action has been taken on the clients' accounts. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork

If this is against your terms then why upwork is allowing clients to request communocation through Skype from frellancers? It happens to me almost everyday. The job is posted, most likely a fraud and then I get a message to contact them through Skype.

I just reported this fraudulent post to Upwork and it is still there. Noone even bothered to remove this fraudulent post. And many innocent people will be disclosing their personal information. Why are you not protecting freelancers? I have been sendong job proposals every single day and almost never got contacted by real clients, but was contacted by scammers 3 times aldready!  

Hi Svitlana,

I'm sorry to hear about the unpleasant and disappointing experiences you had with clients. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts, and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

Your cooperation in reporting suspicious activities on the platform is extremely helpful for Trust & Safety team and we truly appreciate that. I assure you that we'll continue sharing your feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives.

~ Arjay
Upwork
svetlana_usa
Community Member

I flagged this post. why is it still not removed? the poster is requesting to communicate through Skype. I am sure I am not the only one who has been asked to communicate through Skype. 

Proposals (upwork.com)

Hi Svitlana,

I followed up with the team handling your request and it appears that it's been taken down now for violation of Upwork TOS. Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

What about my connects? how and where can I see that they have been credited back to me?

Hi Svitlana,

Thank you for the follow-up. Please note that when a job post is removed due to a violation of Upwork's TOS, Connects used for sending the proposal will be credited back to your account. You can confirm this by going to your Connects History page. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths