🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it beneficial to move away from convention...
Page options
dc7c8b2b
Community Member

Is it beneficial to move away from conventional job to fulltime freelancing?

What are the things to consider before making a decision to change from conventional job to full time freelancing? Do we get stable inflow of income? Do we get any experience certificate of the time worked in freelancing and is it valuable to show to future employers if in case we don't get any work in future and would like to move to conventional job? Can we negotiate salary based on last drawn salary from freelancing?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Vipin J wrote:

Do we get stable inflow of income?

Some do, but the vast majority does not. There are no guarantees. Depending on where you live, you also won't be eligible to collect any state benefits if you're self-employed but unable to earn a sufficient income.

Vipin J wrote:

Do we get any experience certificate of the time worked in freelancing and is it valuable to show to future employers if in case we don't get any work in future and would like to move to conventional job?

No, there's no "experience certificate". You tell future employers that you've been self-employed, and that can be a disadvantage, because you obviously wouldn't be seeking work if your business had been successful. 

Vipin J wrote:

Can we negotiate salary based on last drawn salary from freelancing?

No. Freelancers have to charge more than people in full-time jobs, because they get no benefits such as a guaranteed income, paid holidays, sick pay, or pension contributions. A future employer might be impressed that you were able to handle all aspects of being self-employed, such as bookkeeping, sales, and customer service; on the other hand, some say that being self-employed - especially for long periods of time - makes you less "employable," because you're used to being your own boss and doing things your own way.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
christopherbudde
Community Member

Among the sales people at the agencies I have worked for, there has always been a mantra;

We have to kill what we eat.

The actual work involved with myself as a freelancer is a breeze. I've been designing for 45 years. The tricky part is getting the projects. If you feel able to do the sales thing, the battle is 90% over. If not? Well, it won't be pretty.

Sorry, this was supposed to be a response to the op, it went in the wrong place

A steady paycheck does 4 key things consistently, 3 of which apply to most people.

1. Puts food on the table 
  2. Puts a roof over your head
  3. Puts gas in the car
  4. Puts spend money in your pocket.

The same cannot be said for freelancing, although there are the exceptions. However, it is probably safe to say it most likely took them a while before their freelancing became lucrative.

The same can absolutely be said for freelancing--if you treat it like the business it is.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Vipin,

If you have a conventional job, keep it based upon the questions being asked. Successful freelancers are hard independent workers. Only about 5% of the freelancers can earn a good living. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for success TIPS on Upwork. Thanks!

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Vipin J wrote:

Do we get stable inflow of income?

Some do, but the vast majority does not. There are no guarantees. Depending on where you live, you also won't be eligible to collect any state benefits if you're self-employed but unable to earn a sufficient income.

Vipin J wrote:

Do we get any experience certificate of the time worked in freelancing and is it valuable to show to future employers if in case we don't get any work in future and would like to move to conventional job?

No, there's no "experience certificate". You tell future employers that you've been self-employed, and that can be a disadvantage, because you obviously wouldn't be seeking work if your business had been successful. 

Vipin J wrote:

Can we negotiate salary based on last drawn salary from freelancing?

No. Freelancers have to charge more than people in full-time jobs, because they get no benefits such as a guaranteed income, paid holidays, sick pay, or pension contributions. A future employer might be impressed that you were able to handle all aspects of being self-employed, such as bookkeeping, sales, and customer service; on the other hand, some say that being self-employed - especially for long periods of time - makes you less "employable," because you're used to being your own boss and doing things your own way.

Years ago when I went back to full time work after freelancing, why I wanted a job was a focal point in my interview.

Tiffany S wrote:

Years ago when I went back to full time work after freelancing, why I wanted a job was a focal point in my interview.

A friend of mine who tried to return to full-time work after her business faltered was faced with a similar interrogation. It's understandable, really; a potential employer will think that you won't stick around for long, if what you really want to do is own your own business. They might also think that you won't take direction well or be a team player, if you're accustomed to being your own boss and working alone (and that would be a completely correct assumption about me personally, if I ever have to look for a "real job").

bobafett999
Community Member

Vipin forget it.  Current Upwork climate does not favor aspiring freelancers with not enough track record.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members