cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it considered inappropriate to link to a personal website in a proposal to share a portfolio?

ekolis
Ace Contributor

I know there are rules against off-site communication between freelancers and clients, but what about simply sharing a link to my personal website in order to share a portfolio of work that I've previously done?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

Point of clarification: there are no rules against off-platform communication, per se. There are rules against listing personal contact details in your public profile (to avoid freelancers and clients circumventing the Upwork system and working together directly off-platform - a violation of the ToS). Many freelancers and clients communicate with each other via email once a job is offered. Of course, that means there is no record of the comms in the Upwork Messages system, so use email at your own discretion. I use email quite frequently with clients I trust and with whom I have a well-established relationship. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

You can add a link to your personal website or external portfolio to your proposals. However, you can't add links to your profile overview if they contain contact information or forms.

~ Valeria
Upwork

So if my personal website has my email address listed, I need to take it down? What about links to social media profiles, or even just my name?

Or are you saying the restriction on contact information only applies to my public profile here on Upwork, and not to proposals or private communication with clients?

@Edward K wrote:

So if my personal website has my email address listed, I need to take it down? What about links to social media profiles, or even just my name?

Edward, if you personal website has your email listed, you can send it in your proposal but you can't have it on your profile overview. Same with social media links. Your name will show on your profile. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

Point of clarification: there are no rules against off-platform communication, per se. There are rules against listing personal contact details in your public profile (to avoid freelancers and clients circumventing the Upwork system and working together directly off-platform - a violation of the ToS). Many freelancers and clients communicate with each other via email once a job is offered. Of course, that means there is no record of the comms in the Upwork Messages system, so use email at your own discretion. I use email quite frequently with clients I trust and with whom I have a well-established relationship. 

OK, thanks everyone for clarifying the rules for me!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS