🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it just me, or are other freelancers f...
Page options
7d7ca670
Community Member

Is it just me, or are other freelancers feeling a bit screwed over by UpWork's new policies?

I'm deeply disappointed with the recent changes here on UpWork.
When I first discovered UpWork a few months back it was one of the only remaining freelance sites that DIDN'T charge freelancers just to look for work. The rather steep percentage they took on the back end was acceptable because at least I was able to get work without paying up-front, which is essential for those of us who took a leap of faith on a new career path, starting from absolute zero. I took some skills tests, even scored #1 of all test takers on the spelling test, and was quickly designated "Rising Talent," an honor that gave me hope and propelled me forward through those rough early days of trying to get work with no reputation. Soon a got some 5-star reviews and was finally starting to get some momentum. People were inviting me to interview without my having to apply. I thought I was golden.

Then suddenly, UpWork decided to change the game. In addition to the percentage they take on the backend, we are now required to pay for connects in order to apply for jobs. Not a huge issue since the cost is fairly low (though the number of connects required to apply for jobs appears to be rising as well, which is frustrating), and I do understand the logic. The real issue is that quality leads went down sharply at the same time. So now it feels like we're fighting over scraps. Oh and P.S. they got rid of skills tests, too. *sad trombone*
Though I continue to apply for jobs that seem to be a good fit whenever I come across them, they seem to be fewer and farther between. Which I suppose is just as well since I now have to pay to apply to them. But to add insult to injury, I've just gotten a notification that my failure to make any money in the last month (thanks for the reminder, UpWork) means they're switching my account to "private" until I either make some money (and of course the only way to do that is to apply for jobs with paid connects, since now no one can find my profile and invite me to interview, which is how I got all my best work), or upgrade to a paid membership. This feels an awful lot like blackmail to me and definitely does NOT make me interested in being a paid member of this organization. In fact I'm strongly considering focusing my efforts elsewhere. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adrienne,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I just set your profile visibility back to public. This program is a reward for freelancers who regularly earn on the platform, and a trust and safety measure to prevent off-platform payments.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
yitwail
Community Member

Adrienne M wrote:

But to add insult to injury, I've just gotten a notification that my failure to make any money in the last month (thanks for the reminder, UpWork) means they're switching my account to "private" until I either make some money (and of course the only way to do that is to apply for jobs with paid connects, since now no one can find my profile and invite me to interview, which is how I got all my best work), or upgrade to a paid membership. 

Adrienne, unless they've changed this as well, and given the pace at which things change it's entirely possible, you can ask support to make your profile public. In fact, my understanding is there's a button to click that will do so. Once support gets your request, it may take a couple of days for the profile to be made public. In the meantime, you can still send proposals and clients will be able to see your profile. The main downside of a profile set private is clients can't invite you. However, clients now have to pay a fair sum either one time or monthly, to invite more than 3 freelancers to a job, so invitations will be scarce anyway.

Yep, I've already requested that they make my profile public again. Twice.
My objection is to the practice of making freelancers who are already
struggling suddenly invisible and then suggesting they can remedy the
situation by paying a membership fee out of the money they aren't making.
That's the opposite of support, and it's going to cost them good
freelancers.
petra_r
Community Member

Adrienne M wrote:

struggling suddenly invisible
it's going to cost them good
freelancers.

It is going to cost them mainly freelancers who are not earning or not earning much, which is not a problem considering Upwork has a vast, ridiculous surplus of freelancers and losing even a big percentage would make no difference whatsoever at all.

Losing clients is a problem.

Losing freelancers isn't.

jboazman
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Losing clients is a problem.

Losing freelancers isn't.

Thats the problem. UW doesnt seem to care about freelancers. If they loose bad freelancers, thats not a problem. But i feel they will loose good freelancers. Once i move back to the city i will be leaving this platform. I dont feel like this company cares about me so i dont want to make them anymore money. 

7d7ca670
Community Member

Thank you so much, Petra, for clarifying exactly what kind of "community" this actually is, and how much my contribution as a new freelancer is valued. Smiley LOL

AM,

Sorry, but not at all surprised unfortunately, to hear of your difficulties.

You've arrived at UW at a very strange, really shaky time, and freelancer support has never been a UW priority.

If it's any consolation, things are rough all over on the freelancer end and may continue to be so for a minute.

Best of luck to you but def do NOT quit your day job.

Work smart, work safe!

Adrienne M wrote:
Yep, I've already requested that they make my profile public again. Twice.
struggling suddenly invisible and then suggesting they can remedy the
situation by paying a membership fee out of the money they aren't making.
That's the opposite of support, and it's going to cost them good
freelancers.

* Big edit - somehow I mixed this up with another post, I think. *

I'm going to have to disagree, and I'm not trying to be dismissive. The good (if you will) freelancers, the successful ones, are the ones who will stay. The ones who consistently - over a long period of time - aren't getting jobs are having trouble for one reason or another, and that could be anything that takes them out of the running for "best" (if you will) in the client's eyes: not very active in seeking work, or not the caliber of expertise clients want, or whatever.

I realize some of the reason may also simply be that the freelancer is new, but remember, that's what every new freelancer runs into. If they're getting the jobs and I'm not, I'm going to have to wonder why. Then I can either work on fixing that, or figure out whether UW really is for me. It isn't for everybody. Again - not being dismissive. This is just reality. Not everyone can freelance at all, and not everyone is a fit for UW. If it hadn't been a fit for me I'd be gone...why beat my head against a wall?

Another factor is that it isn't just about "good," it's about actively being able/willing to accept new jobs, and UW has to assume that if you're not regularly seeking (or getting) work then you may not be as available to clients who want you. They're really just paring things down to clients not being so flooded, either by approaches or when sifting through the many many freelancers who are active.

I'm not an UW lackey or anything, 😄 and I do have my complaints. But overall it's a good fit. I was on other platforms that weren't good fits and I moved along to this one. That's freelancing. It's incredibly competitive, it's not for everyone, and even when it is, you have to know that it's not going to be a constant headache. In that case, it's not worth it, IMO. Because the freelancer who's experiencing all this - no work, constant struggle, keeps getting set to private - isn't making money anyway. The way I saw it when I started here, if that was going to be for me, I may as well work at Starbucks...at least then I'd be making money plus I'd get free coffee! 😄

As far as fees: again, if you're making a few bucks on projects here, a buck or two here or there isn't going to be prohibitive. Figure it into your rates - raise yourself five dollars an hour. That's legitimate too and a pretty much normal thing with freelancing. You'll always have some expenses that you have to figure into your fees.

I was kind of surprised when UW started charging for connects, but apparently UW isn't operating at a profit and they want to stay afloat. They're a business just like I am. I want to make money. So do they. If I'm not making money off their platform, I'm walking. If they're not making money off me, they're sending me walking. I don't think we're any more "greedy" or somehow bad than UW, when you think about it. We're all here for the same reason. Just my $.02 and not telling anybody not to be upset or trying to shut anyone down. I do get it but you need to be logical about it, IMO.

"The good (if you will) freelancers, the successful ones, are the ones who will stay."

It's pretty self-evident that one can't be successful *on UpWork* if one doesn't stay on UpWork. But this isn't the only platform out there, nor is it the only way to get work as a Freelancer. Not by a long shot.

This thread has helped me clarify exactly why it's important to diversify. 

That's the answer, Melanie - Upwork has to start providing free coffee!!!

7d7ca670
Community Member

"However, clients now have to pay a fair sum either one time or monthly, to invite more than 3 freelancers to a job, so invitations will be scarce anyway."

This explains so much. Ugh. No wonder the good leads are drying up!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adrienne,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I just set your profile visibility back to public. This program is a reward for freelancers who regularly earn on the platform, and a trust and safety measure to prevent off-platform payments.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
nigell
Community Member

I strongly agree with what you said. Some of the clients, after they send an invitation to you they won't reply anymore to your messages. So frustrating that you need to look for another project and pay for the connects. I am also thinking of looking for another platform aside from UW. 

Elton June I wrote:

I strongly agree with what you said. Some of the clients, after they send an invitation to you they won't reply anymore to your messages. So frustrating that you need to look for another project and pay for the connects. I am also thinking of looking for another platform aside from UW. 

I might be misunderstanding this, but you don't pay for connects if the client invites you, right?

Hi Melanie, 

You are correct. You will never be charged Connects if a client invites you to submit a proposal. 

~ Avery
Upwork
cedric_ch
Community Member

I am in the same situation and I strongly agree. I joined the platform in early April and was very hopeful about finding work and reliable clients. I quickly earned the Rising Talent badge as I started to make my way through the Upwork system. I got my first low paid jobs and thanks to postive feedback I even received a couple of invitations.

Then I had to leave the platform to buy some new equipment and when I came back everything had changed. My profile has been set to private because I have been less active for two weeks. And of course I was disappointed and skeptical when I discovered the new connects policy.

So far it seems like the quality of jobs has tremendously decreased. Most are very low budget fixed price jobs, and often the clients asks for the highest expertise while giving a very vague description of the work. Let's see where all of this goes, maybe this change is for the better, but I do have my share of doubts.

Glad to know it isn't just me! I'm an optimist and generally focus on the positive, but I just had to speak up about the direction of the company of late. I understand that they need to monetize to be sustainable, but word of mouth around customer experience is far more important in the long run than making a few extra bucks.

russtice
Community Member

I have been with Upwork from back when it was Elance. I keep hearing the excusses that the company is not profitable and has to implement A or B. I'm sorry but thats a management problem and any type of bandaid temporary or permenet is NEVER going to fix it. The backend fees to the Clients are crazy becuase lets face it they get burdened with all of it ultimately. 

The client pays a fee
The Freelancer pays a fee
We'll also up the percentage of earnings fee. 
All equals the clients get the _ _ _ _

So Upwork tell me whats next after this also doesn't work? You're problems are not the platform and its model its how its being run. Just my thought. 

Russell T wrote:

I have been with Upwork from back when it was Elance. I keep hearing the excusses that the company is not profitable and has to implement A or B. I'm sorry but thats a management problem 

[snip]

How do you know? I'm not being snotty, I'm genuinely asking. 

Melanie H wrote:

Russell T wrote:

I have been with Upwork from back when it was Elance. I keep hearing the excusses that the company is not profitable and has to implement A or B. I'm sorry but thats a management problem 

[snip]

How do you know? I'm not being snotty, I'm genuinely asking. 

Considering the poorly thought out and badly implemented connects policy, along with the huge new fees they're trying to charge clients, it's not an unreasonable conclusion. After all, Elance charged a 8.75% commission, then after the merger it was 10%, then they raised it to 20%, but they still aren't profitable? Why is that? I suspect that the earnings from connects won't put them into the black, either, so we can look forward to further fees and policy changes in the near future.

Right. If they're charging a percentage on both ends, I just have to wonder why they needed to implement these new measures. What are your overheads??

cesarpinto1989
Community Member

I'm feeling the same, it seems like UW only cares about inventing new ideas of how to take more money from all users (clients & freelancers), recently with the bug that Upwork has I saw how the amount of invites decreased severely, and I had to research throught different forums (even outside of UW) and I found out recent posts of clients complaining about the amount of money that UW is charging them. And you can think "well, I can still apply to a job", because after all you can pay for 2 or 3 connections to apply for a jon, well, now to apply you need 6 connections (another way to take more money). Still, I had a fair share of hope until I recently received a message from a client that he is moving to a different platform and is taking all of his freelancers with him, his reason was the amount of money UW was charging him to use the platform. UW policies are just helping the rest of the platforms that are taking this issue as an advantage. In the next months I will probably see platforms that are going to become more popular than UW.

The .15 cents per connect is a small price to pay to eliminate bot bids and bids that consist of "I can do your job".

U. was smart to start charging for connects.  It was not smart in trying to pin clients down to a $50 or $500 per month commitment on a sustaining basis.

Clients still have the choice of a basic membership for no fee. And I don't think Upwork started charging for connects to make money. I believe they had more than one reason for doing so - but certainly one of the reasons was to hopefully prevent clients from being flooded with proposals and to also make it easier for freelancers to obtain jobs.

Upwork want only high paying clients and freelancers, clients with medium budget wont survive now same with the freelancers, I remember ODesk was  giving 40 connects a week total 160 connects a month that was time when client and freelancers both were happy to get search good tallent for the work.

I think Upwork should revert these paid connect policy if not then atleast need to be on 2  connects for bidding on all jobs other wise there will many clients and freelancer will leave this paltform that will ofcoz make their business more loss.

There are many compnaies who will take benefit of these changes, surely there will be new platforms coming that will give strong competetion to Upwork.

Smart moves can make your business  OR  break your business, if moves supports your community members it will increase your business but if not then there will be some bad drawbacks.

michk
Community Member

I know this is old, but I thought I'd chime in.

1. I don't agree that UW isn't making any money and that's why they did what they did.

2. They just started charging clients $3 for every contract, so even if I pay someone $5 because I realized within 30-60 minutes that they won't work out, I'm losing a lot of money that could be going to the freelancer.

For that reason, I can't post small task type jobs that are $5-20 & I'm always nervous about who I hire now when I shouldn't have to be. I'm not a huge company with a large budget.

3. I've had to struggle in finding good freelancers not just becuase they don't read the hiring ad & can't follow instructions, but also becase they ignore invites, they accept the invite & don't read the hiring ad or they do it just to tell me they can't do the job SMH, so it costs me an invite, & they say they are available when they aren't. That new feature.

4. I recently started to realize how much frelanceers were having to pay just to apply and this shocked me. That means I lose out on potentially good freelaners.

I've been with UW since before it was called that & it's just terrible what's going on. 

Just so you get a client's point of view (at least mine.)

I hope you found work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths