cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me or...

Highlighted
Calvin B Member Since: Jan 30, 2015
1 of 6
Clients are just skimming over my applications on the assumption that I wouldn't be that great of a freelancer because I'm from the Philippines. (Just like how clients think about people from India.)
Highlighted
George I Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
2 of 6

From discussions I've seen over the time, it looks like.

Although I know that Philippines people work very hard.

Is probably because of the charge rate.

Highlighted
Lianda M Member Since: Jan 23, 2015
3 of 6

On the other hand one so often sees that clients ask for people from the Phillopenes only to reply.  Why is this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
4 of 6

Quote: "Is it just me...or clients are just skimming over my applications on the assumption that I wouldn't be that great of a freelancer because I'm from the Philippines?"

It is just you and your own projection.

You are competing against many, many talented people out there and it may take some time to land a job duh!

There are many highly successful freelancers from the Philippines on oDesk, by the way.

P.S. Of course this isn't to say that there aren't clients who select based on location/nationality but in more cases I think it has to do with: a)your individual profile  or application(history, portfolio), b) your bid (too high/or too low) c)fact that there are 50-60 or more candidates d) any random reason.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6
Calvin, I have spent a lot of time reading what clients write about on oDesk forums and elsewhere. I'm not aware of any prevalent perception that Filipinos are less likely to be good freelancers. I don't think this is something you should worry about.

Although it possible that a certain client is looking for contractors from a specific region, I really doubt there are a significant number with a preference AGAINST the Philippines. There are probably more with a preference FOR contractors from your country.

One suggestion if you are worried about busy clients skimming over your profile and job applications:
If you want to be taken more seriously, get rid of the silly cap on your head in your profile photo. Look at my photo. I'm wearing a tie. I am smiling slightly, but it is clear that I am an extremely serious person. I rarely apply for jobs because work comes to me. Part of the reason is my photo.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
6 of 6

More than a cap though (which can be cute because it gives that geeky-Google -guy vibe) it is the fact that you are not looking at the camera.

You don't need to have photo necessarily (I don't ) but if you do, make sure that you look at the camera, not away from it(it kind of defeats the purpose of the photo, right?)

I can't see your profile but  look into that as well (tests, grammar, cover letter, portfolio, etc.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS