🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it legal for a Client to ask for a fee...
Page options
cyniksha0206
Community Member

Is it legal for a Client to ask for a fee  (registration/security) before they will give you a job?

I applied for a Typing job from 3 different Clients and all are asking me to pay them first their asking fee before i can start working for them.  Is this even legal and does Upwork knows about this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
melaniekhenson
Community Member

It is against TOS. If you were to accept the job and pay them, you'd be violating Upwork's rules.

The client is violating TOS too, but he or she doesn't care, as the client is attempting to scam you. 

Never pay a client in order to win a project on Upwork. And please report the client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
melaniekhenson
Community Member

It is against TOS. If you were to accept the job and pay them, you'd be violating Upwork's rules.

The client is violating TOS too, but he or she doesn't care, as the client is attempting to scam you. 

Never pay a client in order to win a project on Upwork. And please report the client.

Well, i have done some research and yes i realized they were trying to scam me.   Sadly though, it was too late to report some of them as immediately they deleted their job post. 

wescowley
Community Member

These are scams, Mario. See this post for more information.

Yes Sir, it took me some time to realized that but luckily i did not fall for it.  

0ea796be
Community Member

It looks like you probably communicated and accepted work off Upwork without having a contract in place. You have to be officially hired on Upwork before doing any work or talking to a client off the platform. That's a major TOS violation. 

cyniksha0206
Community Member

I did not accepted any job from them.  After i submitted my proposal in Upwork the Client message me and told me to contact someone in Telegram to which i obliged not knowing i will be offered a job outside Upwork for a fee.  I am new here and confused reason why i asking for an advise.  

The important thing is that you learned from your experience, and you gained valuable knowledge by posting your question here in the Forum.

I think you have a positive attitude and will succeed on Upwork. I wish you well in finding real work opportunities here.

cyniksha0206
Community Member

Thank you for all the replies.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths