cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it necessary to make a payment to the client before he will give me a license to work contract?

morales_carlo
Carlo M Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 38

Good Day!

I am currently being offered to pay $23 in order for me to start working. The client had sent me an offer and contract and the client said that it is a requirement to have a ""License to work" as client is from Bosnia. By the way, name of the company is **edited for Community Guidelines**. The client had also gave me a link to erase the doubts or suspicions of scam. Link is: **edited for Community Guidelines**

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 38

lol scam

Report him to upwork.

morales_carlo
Carlo M Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 38

Ok...thanks for the advice...you saved my day! :-)

This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 38

@Carlo M wrote:

Good Day!

I am currently being offered to pay $23 in order for me to start working. The client had sent me an offer and contract and the client said that it is a requirement to have a ""License to work" as client is from Bosnia. By the way, name of the company is **edited for Community Guidelines**. The client had also gave me a link to erase the doubts or suspicions of scam. Link is: **edited for Community Guidelines**

This is obviously a scam. Please report this "client" to Customer Service at once so that he can be banned from the platform. And stop communicating with him at once. Nobody has to pay anything to a client in order to start working. 

mnicol27
Matthew N Member Since: Feb 21, 2016
5 of 38

Yeah I have just been scammed by this, feel so stupid!!

shahzad7783
Ace Contributor
Muhammad S Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
6 of 38

Report to upwork about it.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 38

Hi Carlo,

I'm glad you decided to seek advice from the Community before making a mistake. As others advised on this thread already, please stop communicating with this client and report them to Customer Support. You shouldn't send money to the client to be hired. 

I see you are new to Upwork, so I suggest you check out the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center. I also advise reading the best practice advice shared by other users in following threads:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Job Warning Signs

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

~ Valeria
Upwork
johnjaquith
John J Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
8 of 38

I would like to report someone doing this exact thing as well.  Once he told me I needed to pay him for a license fee, I told him I decline to pay to work and blocked all further messages from him.  How do I report him? 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 38

Submit a Request

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
p_tandoc
Paulina T Member Since: Sep 10, 2017
10 of 38

Hi. This scam is still ongoing please see screen shots.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS