cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it necessary to make a payment to the client before he will give me a license to work contract?

analiza_baria
Analiza B Member Since: Feb 24, 2016
11 of 38

I have the same case. Exactly de same as yours. his name was **Edited for Community Guidelines** the link  of his fb account he ask me to add. totally scam. I was scamed with the idea of being hired. I was very happy to the point that i even jump out of happiness but when he asked me to pay that work permit I felt so dissappointed . hmmm Thats why I researched and find you guys here to verify that it was really a scam, just like what i thought. by the way how should we report him? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 38

This isn't rocket science, people.

Real clients pay you money.

Scammers ask you to pay them money.

mbroznovat
Community Leader
Bogdan-Mihai R Member Since: Sep 6, 2010
13 of 38

Since you have messages with him, open a support ticket and provide all the proof you've got.

melmalasaga
Melinda M Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
14 of 38

I'm glad I did my research first. I am surprised that this company is still up despite the reports. 

libertywalk000
Claudia S Member Since: Apr 9, 2017
15 of 38

I'm glad I don't trust people that fast and did my research before paying. I have the same problem as you guys.  A guy from Bosnia needs payment for a work permit. Luckily I found this topic, thank you all!!!

glei1020
Lelanie G Member Since: Apr 14, 2017
16 of 38

Got the same man. I guess he (they) never gets tired of trying to scam people. Anyway, I researched the moment he mentioned of the payment for the license to work. I found this and is definitely a gretat help.  

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 38

Lelanie: thank you for your note. But just to clarify something.... This isn't "one man." There are thousands of scammers who share the same scam scripts and continually create new client profiles. Many are individuals, but often the scams come from organized criminal gangs or criminal companies that operate out of highly organized offices.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 38

Lelanie, 

If you haven't already, please report this client by flagging his job post as inapproriate, or reporting the client to the support team so that actions can be taken against the user's account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
lucky_1983_lou
Lucky Lou D Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
19 of 38

I just had the same story with you. He is asking me to send euro via Western Union to government receiver for me to proceed with the job. He is insisting that I need to obtain a work permit and I have to pay amount of euro.  I have all the screenshots of our conversation. 

rajahani-william
Rajahani W Member Since: Apr 23, 2017
20 of 38

I think I just got the same person. Was so happy to finally get a job then he asks for $24, immediate red flag. Did my research and found this post. Reporting to upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS