cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it necessary to make a payment to the client before he will give me a license to work contract?

ilennejavier
Ilenne J Member Since: May 26, 2017
21 of 38

Hello,

I received a notification from an Upwork client 2 days ago that they are looking to interview me for the position data entry work in BBI (Bosna Bank International).  He gave the Facebook link of their hiring manager for my interview on Facebook via chat form. Their hiring manager said that their boss like me that they will give the contract and the payment of my work will be through upwork. The hiring manager interviewed me and we exchange conversation via FB messenger. And later he is asking me to pay license fee (work permit) of $24. because i need to have work license before starting to work in Bosnia and Herzegovina country thats their law. It looks so true that's why I sent them $24 via Western Union. I said to myself that this is just only a small amount compared to other who were asking to send $100. He gave me the name of the receiver But now, 2 hours ago, he messaged me again to pay for another $26 due to the law was changed according to him. And the license fee is now $50. Until now, while i am typing this message, the hiring manager keep on messaging me for 10x. He is insisting me to send the balance of $26.

Now I realized that this is a SCAM. I felt sorry for myself for i was a victim. Hope my story and experience will become a lesson to other Freelancer.

(Message of Upwork client to me): 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 38

re: "It looks so true that's why I sent them $24 via Western Union. I said to myself that this is just only a small amount compared to other who were asking to send $100."

LOL.

I enjoyed that detail. You thought you were getting a good deal because they asked for only $24 (at first), instead of $100.

So it was a scam, but it was a discount scam.

(Not laughing at you, of course. Just amused by the situation and glad that you learned your lesson. Keep in mind that many newbies who participate in scams send up to $3000 or more to the scammers. So your learning experience was relatively painless.)

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 38

I appreciate Ilenne taking the time to share her story. I do not think she should be penalized in any way.

But... paying money outside of the Upwork platform is a serious offense and violation of Upwork ToS. Upwork specifically states that freelancers can have their accounts suspended for doing that.

Going forward, I would like to see all freelancers who participate in the "$24 work permit scam" have their accounts automatically suspended for 6 months.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
24 of 38

@Preston H wrote:

I would like to see all freelancers who participate in the "$24 work permit scam" have their accounts automatically suspended for 6 months.

For their own good.

But still, $24 instead of $100, that's a real deal. I wonder if scammers offer volume discounts.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jdiscaya15
Jo-Ian D Member Since: Jul 11, 2017
25 of 38

Good day.. I just had this scam just few minutes ago. Good thing i searched it here. By the way, a newbie question. where do I submit a report ticket for this scammer?

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
26 of 38

If  you look at the job posting, on the right you can flag it as inappropriate and check off the reason.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
27 of 38

Hi Jo-lan, 

As Mary shared, you may go to the job post and flag the job as inappropriate. 

Flag as Inappropriate.png

~ Avery
Upwork
chericlark
Cheri C Member Since: Sep 6, 2017
28 of 38

Just did this also.  It's a shame we can't share the full details though, jst flag is all?   Mine was also BBI Bank and Dalibor Tadic in Facebook.  Don't do it.  I'm up for $6.50 and he's offering me $22 lol  Yeah right dude.  Right now he gave me the talk about paying for a licence and I said I was reading and would respond shortly.  Haven't yet, think I'll just leave him hanging lol  Actually I had a lot of fun but unfortunately scared him off Facebook lol  See the file.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
29 of 38

Hi Cheri, 

I checked the client account that you are referring to and can confirm that actions have been taken against the user's job post and account as a result of a ToS violation.

~ Avery
Upwork
g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
30 of 38

Hi Paulina,

Thank you for reporting, proper actions will be taken.

~ Goran
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS