cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to as for help?

Amy S Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
1 of 8

Hello.   I'm just a few months in to UpWork.   Years ago, I did voice work and now I'm working my way back into it.   I was recently hired for an assignment on here for a podcast intro that the client has now decided he wants a male voice for.  (I'm female, obviously).

In a effort to continue my 100% success, would it be unheard of to list a job for another freelancer to help me out?  

I would still like to produce it, I just need a male voice.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8

Amanda:

Of course you can post a job to hire another contractor.

Hiring other contractors has been one of the best things I have ever done for my own career as a contractor.

Simply use your EXISTING Upwork account to add a "client profile."

ONLY LOGGING IN using your EXISTING username and password, you will then be able to post a job and hire a contractor.

Good luck!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 8

You might be interested in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/What-is-the-difference-between-an-editor-and-a-proofrea...

There are 2 questions in there. But one of them is if it would be OK if I decided to add editing to my offerings and hire an editor to fix my work that I do for clients. It stemmed from a client of mine asking for me to find him an editor and bill him for it. 

Scroll down and Valeria clariifes. Her basic gist is as long as there isn't any baiting and switching and I'm not trying to hide anything from the client. But, read her reply and I think it is relevant to your situation.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
4 of 8

I don't think I'd go through the trouble in that particular scenario. To enhance one's own work, yes, but just to "please" a client who didn't know what they wanted in the first place?

Questions:

Would you pay the subcontractor less than what you'd make to cover the time you spend hiring them?

What if the quality of the final product is sub par? What if the client decides that they don't like it after you've decided that it is good and have already paid the subcontractor?

Who communicates/deals with the subcontractor, you or the original client?

I don't know, but unless a client pays me to manage additional services or unless it's a really, really good and long-term client, I don't see the point. JSS certainly wouldn't be one for me.

5 of 8

Thank you for all your replies so far.

Sandra, you make the point I was concerned most about.   I am going to have to pay someone else, and its going to come out of what I'm making and if he changes his mind again, I'm out that much money.

However - what would you do instead?   Do you just quit the job? I don't like the sound of that either, which is why I feel like I'm stuck.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
6 of 8

I think it depends a bit on what has happened so far and how things have been communicated. E.g. have you done any other work on this contract, and if so, has that been paid? Or did they hire you, funded escrow, and then decided out of the blue that they didn't want you after all?

In any case I wouldn't "just quit" but would make the client close the contract. There is no reason they should mark it negatively (unless something else happened), although their "not getting a result" might somehow influence the overall rating. If so, you can still always respond the feedback (and I'd mention their change of mind in my initial feedback anyway, good to know for other lancers).

7 of 8

deleted my response.

Rather than go into crazy detail regarding this, I think I'm just going to take it up with the client and work it out.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 8

It all comes down to whether the client knows that you're going to hire another contractor and that they (client) is ok with that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS