🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it ok to communicate via Telegram?
Page options
8c2f63c0
Community Member

Is it ok to communicate via Telegram?

I applied to some jobs in data entry and 3 out of all asked me to contact them via Telegram and I saw some of them having in the description.

Like this one: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

The job has already been taken down by upwork. 

No, it is never ok. These are scams. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

The job has already been taken down by upwork. 

No, it is never ok. These are scams. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

All scams. Don't do it.  Upwork needs to do a much beter job of filtering out obvious scams in the categories that they know to be very scam prone.

k_pitman
Community Member

No, 100% scam if they mention Telegram right off the bat. It's to the point I can spot every fake job by how things are worded. Not sure why they can't filter these jobs. These scammers aren't making them that hard to detect. Of course there are times if there weren't spam jobs, there'd be NO new jobs show up.

Of course they can filter them out, they just don't.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Since you literally just joined, you must read the TOS. If you had read the rules, you would know that you cannot communicate with a potential client off-platform until an Upwork contract is in place. Before you even look at another job, read the TOS and everything you can about how Upwork functions and how to protect yourself.

Because you are new, you are a particular target for the scams. The thieves think you don't know the rules (which you don't) and that you will be anxious to start making money (which you are.) Therefore, you make the perfect mark. Protect yourself because no one, including Upwork, will do anything to protect you.

If you have questions after reading all you can, please bring questions here before you act.

After reading the TOS and everything about freelancing on Upwork, read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

If you continue to apply for jobs without understanding the rules, you are setting yourself up to be ripped off and lose your Upwork account.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths