🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it possible not display my home addres...
Page options
olevacho
Community Member

Is it possible not display my home address in invoices?

Hello.

Upwork asks me to fill my address in : 'Tax Residence' section of https://www.upwork.com/nx/payments/tax-info. when i try to pass Tax Identification (ID)

It is not generally problem. But as i have read there 'This address will be displayed on invoices.' My address is actually my home address. I do not want to display my home address in invoices are sent to my clients. I think it is private info. 

Is it possible to not display my address in invoices sent to clients?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Oleh,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Just to confirm, the address added under the "Tax Residence" section is displayed on invoices. But the address you add there doesn't have to be the same as your home address. It can be address of your business for example.

You may need to consult with a legal advisor about how to properly report your taxes and which address you can use for your invoices/business purposes.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Helo Valeria.

Thank you for reply.

It can be address of your business for example.

Due to our laws I can use business adresses in invoices. It is not problem.  But my concern is: Am i allowed to put into 'Adress' field inside "Tax Residence" section any of my business adresses? Or should  i need  put adrress that is equal with adress registered at tax office?

Due to laws in my country, my tax adress must be the same, as the address where I am registered. In most cases (in my too)  people are registered at their  home adresses. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Oleh:
There is a pretty straightforward solution for you if you are concerned about clients seeing your home address.

As the Forum Moderator said: "But the address you add there doesn't have to be the same as your home address. It can be address of your business for example."

You can use a P.O. box at a post office. Or an office address. Or a virtual address service. There are lots of options.

olevacho
Community Member

You can use a P.O. box at a post office. Or an office address. Or a virtual address service. There are lots of options.

Preston:

Hmm. If Upwork will accept such kind of addresses then that is good. I have office address. But i thought that adress i will input inside "adress" field should be equal with the same as i registered at  our tax office. Due to our laws l need to point out  my home adress at tax office even i have any other business ofices. So in case  if it is  no matter for Upwork, what adress do i fill inside "adress" "Tax Residence" section then problem can be resolved. Otherwise problem is still actual. Anyway many thanks you  for suggestion. 

re: "Due to our laws l need to point out  my home adress at tax office even i have any other business ofices."

It is good for you to know the laws that apply to you. But obviously those laws don't apply to everyone.

These are different:

a) What does the Upwork user interface physically allow me to do at this time?

b) What do Upwork rules require me to do?

c) What do the laws of my own county/state/province/city/etc. require?

Re:These are different:

Exactly.

My case is : b) What do Upwork rules require me to do? Am i allowed to point any of : "P.O. box at a post office., office address,Or a virtual address service" or should i fill only adress , registered at tax office ? 

Oleh:
What is allowed?
Ultimately, you will need to answer this question for yourself.

You can read what rules you can find, and you can follow those rules in the way that best suits your needs, while considering that Upwork's intent is.

WHY does Upwork want an address?
There are two main reasons:

1) Upwork wants freelancers to present an accurate idea about where they live, mainly for the purpose of presenting what country they live in.

2) Upwork wants to provide legally required information for purposes such as tax, VAT, etc.

So if you have MULTIPLE address options (P.O. box, home address, office, etc.), but they are all in the same country, and in the same city, then you are clearly NOT trying to falsify your location information. You are not living in Bulgaria but trying to pretend that you live in Canada.

After that, if you record an address which you feel complies with the laws you are subject to, then you should consider yourself in compliance with Upwork rules. Upwork doesn't want you to enter an address which "follows their rules but violates local law." Upwork will be happy if the address you enter (a) physically works within their system, (b) doesn't present a false city/country location for you, (c) helps you comply with local law, (d) and is factually correct.

Nobody from Upwork is going to physically go to the address you enter and then penalize you because you don't actually sleep there, or because the location doesn't have a wheelchair ramp or something like that.

And you will be constrained by what is physically possible within the Upwork user interface.

In the Forum, we have talked with many people explain that they live simultaneously in two different countries. But the Upwork user interface does not currently support that. So these people are constrained by the limits of what they can physically record in the system.

Another example: Are you physically able to enter a specific address? For example, if your address has a smiley face emoji in it, and the Upwork user interface doesn't allow you to record an address with a smiley face emoji in it, then this means you are physically not allowed to do something, and you will need to find a work around. Even if Upwork rules do not specifically state that you are not allowed to use a smiley face emoji in an address.

Preston: thanks for answer.

I need to research on this issue more

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths