🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it possible to ask for the refund from my ...
Page options
386ea091
Community Member

Is it possible to ask for the refund from my hired freelancer?

Dear All,

I started to use upwork from last month. I was very glad to hire several freelancers who have done a very good jobs. I gave the 5 star reviews to the freelancers I worked with.

Unfortunately I encountered an unpleasant thing. I hired a patent writter who told me he could use 14.5 hours with a rate of $50/per hour to finish my design patent application. After the first week, he charged my $166.00 for patent search. He did give me a report. In the second week, I spent sometime to modify my design and did not give his the design draft, but he still charged me $660.00 without doing anything. I told him he could not charge me without doing anything. He told me I do not know the policy of upwork and told me it is normal that he charged me like that. But at the same time, I hired another freelancer who just charged my 0.5 hours in that week because he really just spent 0.5 hours in that week. I showed this freelancer the comparison of both payments. He told me he promised to finish the entire job without futher charges. I agreed. After 2 days later he showed me several drawings he did. I said it was good and asked him when he could finish the entire patent application. He told me he needed another 4 days. Today is the deadline and he showed me what he did in last 4 days. I would like to share it in here:

"Figure 1 is an isometric view of a Quart Box showing my new design;
Figure 2 is a front elevational view thereof;
Figure 3 is a rear elevational view thereof;
Figure 4 is a left side elevational view thereof;
Figure 5 is a right elevational view thereof;
Figure 6 is a top plan view thereof; and
Figure 7 is a bottom plan view thereof showing my design.
I Claim:
The ornamental design for a Quart Box as shown and described"

This was the work he spent 4 days to finish. I think I can not submit the design patent application with the simple and unclear descriptions. But I am a newbie and I donot know how I can get my refund. I even do not know if the refund is possible.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and comments.

Benson

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
roberty1y
Community Member

The freelancer is supposed to use the time tracker, which takes regular screenshots of what he is doing, to prove that he's working on your job. He's also supposed to write memos. Without the tracker and memo information, you can claim your money back.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
roberty1y
Community Member

The freelancer is supposed to use the time tracker, which takes regular screenshots of what he is doing, to prove that he's working on your job. He's also supposed to write memos. Without the tracker and memo information, you can claim your money back.

386ea091
Community Member

Thanks for your suggestion. He did not have memo for that week. Would you please how I can get my money back? He told me he would not return the money to me. 

Refund thinking hurts clients.

I hope you get money back, but trying to get money back from freelancers is always a gamble.

The safer way to go is to fire a freelancer if you don't love their work.

Firing a freelancer is a SURE THING.

It 100% prevents additional billing.

Asking for a refund or filing a dispute?
It MIGHT work. Usually it doesn't.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members