🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it possible to avoid a client feedback?
Page options
carter_jeffery
Community Member

Is it possible to avoid a client feedback?

Hi, thank you for your response in advance.

I did a project for a client in April.

PS: English is not his first language!

He simply approved the milestone without a word or anything. I got payment for the project, of course. This month I  tried to get in touch with all my clients with unclosed contracts to do so and leave feedback to help boost my JSS. When I got to this particular client, he told me that he can't rate me 5 stars because he wasn't satisfied with the work and that he only approved it because he didn't have enough time to look into it.  

I needed that 5-star rating anyway so I asked that he gave me another chance to work for those 5 stars which he agreed to very quickly. I asked that he provided a further explanation on the adjustments he'd like and he did. But the problem is that his English is not very good, so it is difficult to really understand the requirements. Juxtaposing what he's asking (of course, to the best of my understanding) and what I submitted earlier, I am not sure how I can improve the work further because, in addition to the poor English, he provided very limited information for the project.  

I am asking this because I am tired and wouldn't like to continue with this project but I have a feeling that if I tell the client, he may be raged and would probably end the contract and leave horrible feedback. How do I prevent that from happening without redoing the work? If I end the contract by myself, considering that I've been paid for the project already, will Upwork still give the client the chance to leave feedback and a rating? 

Really I am confused about how to handle this and would appreciate any assistance from someone who has experienced something like this before. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your responses. 

5 REPLIES 5
tlbp
Community Member

You can avoid feedback if you close the contract and the client doesn't leave feedback within the 14-day window. Otherwise, you take the contract, you get the feedback. 

You would have been better served to take the first set of feedback instead of trying to improve on a bad situation. 

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

You would have been better served to take the first set of feedback i

He didn't even have any feedback from that client originally... The client had not left any.

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

You would have been better served to take the first set of feedback i

He didn't even have any feedback from that client originally... The client had not left any.

The first set of feedback the client indicated they were going to leave. OP tried to convince  the client to let him try to recover. I would not have continued to try to please the client. 

Thank you and I agree that asking to improve the work was a terrible terrible idea. This is really bad for me and I wish there was a way around this.

Jeffery C wrote:

Thank you and I agree that asking to improve the work was a terrible terrible idea. This is really bad for me and I wish there was a way around this.

The way around it is to do what you promised to do, and then send it to the client, closing the contract at the same time and thanking the client for NOT leaving feedback. Let this be a lesson to you that sometimes clients don't close contracts because they don't want to leave feedback. Chasing clients for feedback is a double-edged sword.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members