🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it possible to get a verified English badg...
Page options
varungs
Community Member

Is it possible to get a verified English badge as a native speaker?

I am a native English speaker and I would like to verify my fluency via the Duolingo test. I've had a look at other profiles and I've only seen people with "fluent" verified badges. I've never seen a "native/bilingual" verified badge. I'd like to get verified (not that it really matters, I'm just into blue ticks) but I would not like to drop my profile language level from native to fluent.

Is it at all possible to get a verified badge while having the proficiency level at native? And if so, what is the cut-off point for the Duolingo test? TIA.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Varun,

Yes, you should be able to get English verified as Native/Bilingual by taking the new English Certification test by Duolingo. As you already might be aware, you can take the test on Duolingo and add it to your profile by clicking Share Certificate > Upwork. Let us know if you need further information and good luck!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Varun G wrote:

I am a native English speaker and I would like to verify my fluency via the Duolingo test. I've had a look at other profiles and I've only seen people with "fluent" verified badges. I've never seen a "native/bilingual" verified badge.

I have, Preston has it for example.

No idea of the percentage needed.

varungs
Community Member

Thanks, good to know that it's possible.

Preston, it would be great if you could chime in with which exam you took for that to happen.

I would also like to ask an Upwork mod to clarify if the badge is possible to get through the Duolingo test. And if not, maybe some more info regarding which exams would be sufficient for the "native/bilingual" verified badge. TIA.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Varun,

Yes, you should be able to get English verified as Native/Bilingual by taking the new English Certification test by Duolingo. As you already might be aware, you can take the test on Duolingo and add it to your profile by clicking Share Certificate > Upwork. Let us know if you need further information and good luck!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks Vlad, it worked. That blue tick is satisfying as F.

I now have another problem (or rather a bug report); the certification says I scored "150%" which is not mathematically possible. I don't like having the certification on my profile but I'll keep it there for S&G until the bug is fixed Smiley Very Happy

petra_r
Community Member

The duolingo test goes up to 160 points. The % is likely wrong

Petra R wrote:

The duolingo test goes up to 160 points. The % is likely wrong

They changed the scale since I took it and now I look stupid with my score of 8.8 (or 88%).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
varungs
Community Member

Yes, the % is not only wrong but mathematically impossible Smiley Tongue

Rene, yeah, looks like it's due to the grading switch. Upwork needs to change the "%" to "points".

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths