lemisstache

Is it possible to have a client which just registered today to also be a freelancer here in upwork?

I am applying for jobs and I found one possible client which says something like this in his ad:

I am a copywriter here on UpWork. I make 42$/hour. Right now, I'm getting a LOT of work, and I need a personal assistant to help me do research and small tasks. I may need to hire 2 of you. I will pay you your current /hour fee, and, if you're interested, I'll also show you how to get closer to where I am right now. I believe I can get most people to 20$/hour here on UpWork.

When I checked if he has a verified payment: NO

Date joined: June 4, 2016

Is this a red flag?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ma. Shayne Krizel,

It's possible that the user created a client profile recently, which would explain the date you posted. In case you submit a proposal for this job and the client initiates contact, make sure not to start working before the client's payment method is verified. The client might have started the verification process already, but still you should wait for the verification badge to show up.

Untitled

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ma. Shayne Krizel,

It's possible that the user created a client profile recently, which would explain the date you posted. In case you submit a proposal for this job and the client initiates contact, make sure not to start working before the client's payment method is verified. The client might have started the verification process already, but still you should wait for the verification badge to show up.

Untitled

thanks for the fast response!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Why does the freelancer need to verify his payment method for his client account if he is using already a credit card on his freelancer account? Or does this only affect freelancers that did not use a creditcard on Upwork before?

Ma Shayne, as long as the client does not try to get you to work without paying you, it sounds like this is a very honest, upfront, decent client.

Many contractors on Upwork are also clients. Many times these individuals can be excellent because they know what it is like to be a contractor and they want to treat people the way they would like to be treated. Is that universal? No. But I think that is usually the case with clients who are legitimate contractors, and not just job farmers.

Hi Margarete,

The processes of adding a billing method to a freelancer account to upgrade Membership and add connects and adding a billing method to a client account are separate. Client's billing method needs to be verified whether or not a billing method was added to freelancer account

~ Valeria
Upwork
tlsanders

Nah, that can't be right. "Everyone" knows there are no writing jobs on Upwork that pay more than 12 cents an hour. 

Woman Wink