🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it possible to have a different profile na...
Page options
donaldsfreelance
Community Member

Is it possible to have a different profile name than your billing details

On my website I use the name Donald Edgar, this is due to some people having difficulty spelling and pronouncing my legal name (Donald Macleod). Is it possible to keep my profile name as Donald Edgar and have my billing information as Donald Macleod?

Any help on this would be great, thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Donald E wrote:

Is it possible to keep my profile name as Donald Edgar and have my billing information as Donald Macleod?

No. Your profile name has to match your real legal name, you'd fall flat on your face latest at the point of ID verification.

Just tell people Macleod like in "Highlander"

Like Edgar above, I use a short version of my name on my website and marketing materials and would like to use it on Upwork. I have already verified my Upwork ID with a photo and my license. Can I now change my name back to the one I use professionally on my profile?

Elizabeth:
Upwork DOES ALLOW the use or recognized name variants.

For example, there are Upwork users whose legal name is "Elizabeth", but their Upwork profile name is "Liz."

Something like this may need to be approved.

But, yes, it is doable.

Wonderful! Do you recall where you do this in settings? Thanks in advance.

Elizabeth D wrote:
Wonderful! Do you recall where you do this in settings? Thanks in advance.

There's no setting. Upwork will flag mismatches between profile name and payment methods. Then, if it doesn't fall within their established name-variation guidelines, they're  supposed to contact us to resolve the discrepancy.
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-Under-Different-Name

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members