🐈 Community
raaja090

Is it possible to increase project Budget?

Hello I have recently been hired for a project. The projects budget is 2600$. That would be for the first phase of the app. Me and my client agreed upon it and signed the contract. Right now my client likes my work and wanted to proceed to phase 2. The budget of phase will be 7400$. I can see that he paid 400$ yesterday, but it is displayed as "bonus" in get paid page. And the payment date, when it will be available for my withdrawal is displayed "pending" and not an exact date.

I have read the Community forum posts and in one post i read that a person has received some 18000$ as bonus or so (I clearly don't remember but the price is pretty higher than 10k$) and the upwork support person replied that as he has received a large amount a bonus they need to verify it whether it is legit or not.

1. What I am willing to ask is, is it okey to continue the phase 2 of the app (budget 7400$) without starting a new project?
2. Is it okey to receive 7400$ as bonus payment? or you need to verify it is legit?
3. When will the pending status be transformed to a valid payment date?

Thanks,
Raaja SN

6 REPLIES 6
bobafett999

don't work on phase 2 unless it is funded and verified.  You can blame it on Upwork that they do not like free lancers to work on unfunded projects.....blah blha blha.

Also don't work on it unless phase 1 money has been paid and in your account as 'available'.

Another thing you may want to consider is to break your second phase in little milestones.  You move on once it is paid.  As a new freelancer you may be eager to finish the project, but unless there are funded milestones your client can very easily walk away with the final product without paying.  New freelancers are more suceptible to such abuse.  And also remember that promised bonus payment has zero protection.

Yoy may have the most wobderful client, but just be cautious.  One of the forum member Petra has a very nice slide about the payment/contract mechanism.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Raaja, 

Your client may opt to pay for the remainder of the project as bonus. You may send him these articles here, and here, for more information on giving you a bonus. 

Since bonuses are not comvered by the Fixed-price protection for freelancers, you may suggest to your client to setup another milestone instead for the next phase of the project. 

I'm not sure if the team will need to verify milestons of that amount or higher, and I will go ahead and check this with the team to verify. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello Prashant and Avery, thank you for your detailed response. I can see how I am protected when being paid by milestones rather than bonus payments. My client is fond of creating milestones and releasing payments as soon as it is complete. I actually verified now that my client has sent me final 250$ for the first phase as payment and 400$ bonus. He also has created another milestone for phase 2. I have attached a screenshot of the milestone alone. The no 8 milestone from the screenshot is a new one created and it is also funded. 

Now This means that 400$ as bonus in unprotected and the 250$ from the new milestone (No 8 in screenshot) is protected by upwork?

cap.PNG

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Raaja, 

Protection won't cover milestone payments in excess of the amount in escrow, funds from unverified payment methods, or additional amounts that are discussed or promised between you and and your client. You may read more about Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers here.

~ Avery
Upwork

His questions is whether the bonus payment is protected. Can the client request a refund for it?

undefined:

Hello Prashant and Avery, thank you for your detailed response. I can see how I am protected when being paid by milestones rather than bonus payments. My client is fond of creating milestones and releasing payments as soon as it is complete. I actually verified now that my client has sent me final 250$ for the first phase as payment and 400$ bonus. He also has created another milestone for phase 2. I have attached a screenshot of the milestone alone. The no 8 milestone from the screenshot is a new one created and it is also funded. 

Now This means that 400$ as bonus in unprotected and the 250$ from the new milestone (No 8 in screenshot) is protected by upwork?

cap.PNG

Well Raaja:  I am not that good at understanding various Upwork screenshots (I never had that situation), but let me take a crack (may be some experienced freelancer would come in and correct me). 

The way I see it is that your last milestone is funded and after you submit the work when client approves it you will get money after 5 days.

Check your report section.  I appears that 400+200+300=900 should be available to you to withdraw.  250 would show as pending (I hope when 4,5,6 and 7 were created they also had the (funded notation like #8).  I have no idea what those checkmarks mean.

It seems that you have found a good client - make him happy.