🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it possible to overuse AI editing tools?
Page options
0a3f6fad
Community Member

Is it possible to overuse AI editing tools?

Background: I've been freelancing for two+ years and loving the creativity it affords. My clients love my attention to detail and unique voice. My biggest growing edge is condensing and being more concise. That's not new and I try my best. ((PS This wasn't an issue when I was writing product discriptions)). I recently took a job writing templates and articles for a high volume site. 

Query: My current client (dream wage and hours with the possibility of commission & raise soon) is in LOVE with a specific editing tool. Admittedly, its pretty great for making my writing more concise and rewording my higher level vocabulary (which I'm very proud of) down to a more average level. However, every pasage we write goes through the tool 2+ times.

This process: 

1. Makes the passage sound like an AI wrote it

2. Convolutes both grammar and administration

3. Sometimes rewrites the sentence back to the original way I had worded it (no joke)

Is this normal and I'm overreacting because my day job is no longer also my creative outlet OR is this actually over the top? What do you all think of AI editing tools? Is my fear of an AI apocalypse getting the better of me? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Editing tools, even good ones, are capable of coming up with bad suggestions. But it's up to you whether you accept them.

Also, it's a good idea to point out to the client that this is what's happening and what it leads to on your end.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
luqman_mak
Community Member

Overuse of software in writting is very real and yes, things start sounding like a bunch of keywords mashed together so you are not overeacting. But perhaps, you can find happiness in the fact that you are still getting the jobs and your client is happy.
As long as you are feeding the AI something to begin with - there is still hope

renata101
Community Member

Editing tools, even good ones, are capable of coming up with bad suggestions. But it's up to you whether you accept them.

Also, it's a good idea to point out to the client that this is what's happening and what it leads to on your end.

Unfortuantely, I have tried and his insists on Herculean efforts to simplify writing to the point that is impossible and frankly a matter of taste/opinion. Thank you for you wise words and timely support.

researchediting
Community Member

In addition to the other sound advice and comments you have received — particularly Renata's suggestion to discuss the issue with your client (if you believe it affects the work product, or fair value to both parties) — I must remark that referring to currently available editing software as Artificial Intelligence is grossly flattering to how it actually works.

LOL You do have to admit that "AI" got my point across quickly and efficiently. I am improving! Thanks for the support.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members