cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it really okay to remove a watermark?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 12

re: "Does UpWork provide protection to the freelancer in case a lawsuit is raised?"

Upwork provides no protection like that.

Upwork is NOT about lawsuits.

As a very practical matter, this is simply not something you need to worry about.

I have never hard of anybody suing a graphic designer working on Upwork because the graphic designer was working on a job for a client, and the client provided images to the graphic designer, which the graphic designer utilized without realizing that the client did not have permission to use those images in the way that the client asked the graphic designer to use them.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

As a very practical matter, this is simply not something you need to worry about.

As a very practical matter, removing a watermark from a copyrighted image when that copyright is owned by someone else in the course of trade (freelancer) is a criminal offence.

How many or few Upwork freelancers have been successfully prosecuted and convicted for it is not really the point, even if the number is close to zero (I only know of one such case)

Edited to add - the situation in that case was different and there was a bunch of aggravating factors there, and Preston didn't actually say it was OK to remove watermarks but working on an image without ascertaining who owns the rights to it. So I wasn't so much contradicting Preston as responding in relation to the original question with the watermark Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS