cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to upload a scan of your drivers license or ID

8198eacc
Sarfaraz A Member Since: May 14, 2020
11 of 50

then what the final solution of our I.D.

I don't want to show my I.D.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
12 of 50

Thank you for your question, Sarfaraz.

As part of our Terms of Service, we reserve the right to ask any Upwork user to verify their identity at any time. We do this because it is a critical part of maintaining a trusted online global workplace and helps to keep Upwork secure and fraud-free. Submitting a valid government-issued ID is a part of this process. Rest Assured that access to the information you provide during identity verification is handled exclusively by Upwork agents who have passed strict background checks and our secure, third-party vendor’s automated checks.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
bfitz70
Brendan F Member Since: Nov 19, 2020
13 of 50

Ummmm.. you don't need a copy of my Drivers license or any other ID to confirm my location.. Why can't you take a credit card without charging it and just validate the address? Heck, charge a nominal fee. You can't get a CC in another country without haveing a residence there (at least not easily). Or why don't you accept utility bills with name and address? I can very easily upload a fake drivers license and use the same fake name on my account.. there is really zerro logic behind this requirement .. you probably lost a huge amount of customers, including myself.. but go on and continue preaching what your company tells you.. instead of acknowleging the crappy policy and just stating that.. 

sthornton
Shawn M Member Since: Jul 24, 2021
14 of 50

I was turned off by this too. I used to use upwork years ago back when it was called Odesk.. not liking this restriction

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
15 of 50

Hi Shawn,

We routinely ask freelancers and clients to verify their identities to help protect our community and ensure that Upwork stays safe and secure. This is covered by the Upwork Terms of ServiceWe do this because it is a critical part of maintaining a trusted online global workplace and keeping Upwork safe and fraud-free.

The information you provide for ID verification is governed by our Privacy Policy and sent to us and our third-party partners using SSL—the same secure encryption that websites use to transmit credit card numbers. Our third-party partners handle this info and the storage of your government ID according to our Privacy Policy, which describes how we protect your information.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us about the verification process.

~ Avery
Upwork
hoaglund-matthew
Matthew H Member Since: Nov 29, 2018
16 of 50
You do realize nothing is secure and the reason phone verification isn’t good enough right? Well let me point it out I could name 20 sites of the top of my head that have phone numbers just for you to use to verify a phone number
tanya1412
Tanya L Member Since: May 22, 2018
17 of 50

It looks a little bit weird, that website requests ID just to apply for a potential job. Smiley Indifferent  ID, passport etc contain enough information to stole identity. Definitily, they can identify location easely over the phone. What is the reason to request so many documnets?????

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 50

Hi Tanya, 

For jobs with a U.S.-location requirement, freelancers who apply for these jobs are requested to do a one-time location verification. If you are uncomfortable providing your information, you have the option of applying to other jobs that do not have this requirement. 

~ Avery
Upwork
georgecheng
George C Member Since: Sep 27, 2018
19 of 50

@Avery O wrote:

If you are uncomfortable providing your information, you have the option of applying to other jobs that do not have this requirement. 

@Avery, this isn't entirely true. I "did" provide my ID to them, for some reason they weren't able to verify, and so they opted to put my account on "hold" (instead of simply leaving it unverified) disallowing me from applying to ANY jobs. Then they asked me for MORE personal data and documents. I'm now regretting uploading my ID in the first place.

So perhaps what you say is true that you can apply to other jobs if you NEVER give them your ID in the first place.

I guess the upcoming IPO is giving them pressure to prove that they actually have the number of users they've been claiming.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
20 of 50

I think it's more that the upcoming IPO is putting pressure on Upwork to verify that users are, in fact, who and where they say they are.  There has always been a problem with "fake freelancers" and more recently freelancers who sell or rent their profiles to others.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS