cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to upload a scan of your drivers license or ID

Matthew H Member Since: Nov 29, 2018
11 of 30
You do realize nothing is secure and the reason phone verification isn’t good enough right? Well let me point it out I could name 20 sites of the top of my head that have phone numbers just for you to use to verify a phone number
Tanya L Member Since: May 22, 2018
12 of 30

It looks a little bit weird, that website requests ID just to apply for a potential job. Smiley Indifferent  ID, passport etc contain enough information to stole identity. Definitily, they can identify location easely over the phone. What is the reason to request so many documnets?????

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
13 of 30

Hi Tanya, 

For jobs with a U.S.-location requirement, freelancers who apply for these jobs are requested to do a one-time location verification. If you are uncomfortable providing your information, you have the option of applying to other jobs that do not have this requirement. 

-Avery
Untitled
George C Member Since: Sep 27, 2018
14 of 30

@Avery O wrote:

If you are uncomfortable providing your information, you have the option of applying to other jobs that do not have this requirement. 

@Avery, this isn't entirely true. I "did" provide my ID to them, for some reason they weren't able to verify, and so they opted to put my account on "hold" (instead of simply leaving it unverified) disallowing me from applying to ANY jobs. Then they asked me for MORE personal data and documents. I'm now regretting uploading my ID in the first place.

So perhaps what you say is true that you can apply to other jobs if you NEVER give them your ID in the first place.

I guess the upcoming IPO is giving them pressure to prove that they actually have the number of users they've been claiming.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
15 of 30

I think it's more that the upcoming IPO is putting pressure on Upwork to verify that users are, in fact, who and where they say they are.  There has always been a problem with "fake freelancers" and more recently freelancers who sell or rent their profiles to others.

Pamela K Member Since: Feb 28, 2018
16 of 30

They're based in the US which is the most id-paranoid country in the world. Even Soviet Russia wasn't this much "papers, please!!" everywhere you turned.

Pamela K Member Since: Feb 28, 2018
17 of 30

It's a US-thing. The US has gotten so ID-paranoid lately, it's worse than Soviet Russia ever was with the "papers, please!!" everywhere you turn nowadays. In all fairness I've gotten it more and more ever since I decided to "change" to my formerly-married name because I got arressted twice and called an "identity thief" and a "liar" with just Kennedy on everything, the name I was born with and had for the first 30 years of my life until I married Sztyblewski back there in London. I'm gradually changing everything over to just Sztyblewski sort of "in retrospect" because of that. Strangely enough (or maybe not) the world is treating me slightly better as Mrs Sztyblewski than it did as Miss Kennedy so I'm gradually changing everything over but these things take time, months even years in some of the countries I'm a citizen of and have had ID documents in. (Canada for instance: Quebec flat-out refused. I had to get Government of Canada-level IDs and go "over their heads" and that took like a year and a half because Canadian federal ID documents are expensive. $75 for the Citizenship Card and then now $260 for the Passport!?!?!)

Anyway. Remember that even if you are outside the USA, in Upwork you are still dealing with an "American" company. And so. "Papers, please!!!"

Robyn S Member Since: Mar 17, 2019
18 of 30

Dear Petra, 

Am I correct in understanding you work for Upwork? If so, it seems you'd be helping and encouraging potential writers/clients to your site. Perhaps it's unintentional, but the tone of your reply appears terribly uncompassionate and downright rude. 

The concern regarding the ID requirement is legitimate and shared by many. Your response, however unintentional, gives Upwork a bad image. If you care so little about how you answer a legitimate question, what will the company's response be to more significant concerns at a later date? 

Please take this into consideration in future correspondence. I hope you have much success with those who are willing to put their trust in the company! 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
19 of 30

Hi Robyn, 

I would like to clarify that Community moderators for Upwork, and other Upwork employees have the Upwork badge after their profile names, which you can see below for your reference. 

Avery O.png

Please know that the team understands users concerns about identity verification. Honestly, we wish this step was not needed. But unfortunately there are sometimes fraudulent profiles on Upwork and we want to better ensure our marketplace is a secure place for upstanding freelancers and clients to connect and work together. This is to help protect all our users and ensure that Upwork is a trusted and safe environment.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
20 of 30

I understand your concern but we've all had to do it guys. I've never had an issue and I've been with Upwork since 2013.

I don't think there's any other way around it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS