cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to upload a scan of your drivers license or ID

sthornton
Shawn M Member Since: Jul 24, 2021
21 of 50

Gambling sites are extremely strick about users who gamble in certain states. They run a verification on your location through the website. Some of these are state government websites. No license needed. Just a verification that you reside in a specific state or country.

pkennedy1997
Pamela K Member Since: Feb 28, 2018
22 of 50

They're based in the US which is the most id-paranoid country in the world. Even Soviet Russia wasn't this much "papers, please!!" everywhere you turned.

pkennedy1997
Pamela K Member Since: Feb 28, 2018
23 of 50

It's a US-thing. The US has gotten so ID-paranoid lately, it's worse than Soviet Russia ever was with the "papers, please!!" everywhere you turn nowadays. In all fairness I've gotten it more and more ever since I decided to "change" to my formerly-married name because I got arressted twice and called an "identity thief" and a "liar" with just Kennedy on everything, the name I was born with and had for the first 30 years of my life until I married Sztyblewski back there in London. I'm gradually changing everything over to just Sztyblewski sort of "in retrospect" because of that. Strangely enough (or maybe not) the world is treating me slightly better as Mrs Sztyblewski than it did as Miss Kennedy so I'm gradually changing everything over but these things take time, months even years in some of the countries I'm a citizen of and have had ID documents in. (Canada for instance: Quebec flat-out refused. I had to get Government of Canada-level IDs and go "over their heads" and that took like a year and a half because Canadian federal ID documents are expensive. $75 for the Citizenship Card and then now $260 for the Passport!?!?!)

Anyway. Remember that even if you are outside the USA, in Upwork you are still dealing with an "American" company. And so. "Papers, please!!!"

zainabnomaan
Zainab N Member Since: Apr 7, 2019
24 of 50
They don't even need to identify location over the phone. They can automatically identify it. This is 2020 and the world is advancing and it is just so sad and kind of disappointing to see that a platform full of so many opportunities and potential is lacking at so many levels and i am not just saying anything, i have worked on different freelancing platforms too and the only reason i joined Upwork was to expand my services on this platform... so, what i am saying is based off of pure experience. There are a couple of ways through which they can get location without collecting Government ID's and all the rest of the documents. First one is HTML Geo-location API which requires user’s approval when a website requests the location. The location is quite precise because its derived from GPS, WiFi & Cell triangulation. Even if your device doesn’t have GPS, but a GPS enabled device was connected through the same WiFi at some point, the location can be correlated. The other one is IP address to location lookup which does not require user’s consent. You can use a database or an API to lookup the approximate location from the user’s IP address. These guys can literally Auto set our locations and lock them and change them only when we travel somewhere, that too automatically.
robynsmithzlc
Robyn S Member Since: Mar 17, 2019
25 of 50

Dear Petra, 

Am I correct in understanding you work for Upwork? If so, it seems you'd be helping and encouraging potential writers/clients to your site. Perhaps it's unintentional, but the tone of your reply appears terribly uncompassionate and downright rude. 

The concern regarding the ID requirement is legitimate and shared by many. Your response, however unintentional, gives Upwork a bad image. If you care so little about how you answer a legitimate question, what will the company's response be to more significant concerns at a later date? 

Please take this into consideration in future correspondence. I hope you have much success with those who are willing to put their trust in the company! 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
26 of 50

Hi Robyn, 

I would like to clarify that Community moderators for Upwork, and other Upwork employees have the Upwork badge after their profile names, which you can see below for your reference. 

Avery O.png

Please know that the team understands users concerns about identity verification. Honestly, we wish this step was not needed. But unfortunately there are sometimes fraudulent profiles on Upwork and we want to better ensure our marketplace is a secure place for upstanding freelancers and clients to connect and work together. This is to help protect all our users and ensure that Upwork is a trusted and safe environment.

~ Avery
Upwork
jojomo
Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
27 of 50

I understand your concern but we've all had to do it guys. I've never had an issue and I've been with Upwork since 2013.

I don't think there's any other way around it.

abbott-larry
Larry A Member Since: Aug 3, 2017
28 of 50

Glad it’s working for you, so far. It’s not for me, though.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 50

@Larry A wrote:

Glad it’s working for you, so far. It’s not for me, though.

Larry, before getting ornery before you even start, accept that this is part of Upwork's terms of service, so if you want to work from the platform, then just go with the flow and give them whatever proof of identity they ask you to give. Your details will be safe.

maddalena-mark
Mark M Member Since: Feb 14, 2019
30 of 50

Thats not a very reasonable response. If someone is concerned about identity theft/security,  then " just go with the flow and give them whatever proof of identity they ask you to give" is not at all reassuring, nor is it prudent with the insecurity of many computer apps/platforms today. You may trust Upwork, but asking someone else to blindly do what the platform asks seems naive.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS