cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to upload a scan of your drivers license or ID

Larry A Member Since: Aug 3, 2017
21 of 30

Glad it’s working for you, so far. It’s not for me, though.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 30

@Larry A wrote:

Glad it’s working for you, so far. It’s not for me, though.

Larry, before getting ornery before you even start, accept that this is part of Upwork's terms of service, so if you want to work from the platform, then just go with the flow and give them whatever proof of identity they ask you to give. Your details will be safe.

Mark M Member Since: Feb 14, 2019
23 of 30

Thats not a very reasonable response. If someone is concerned about identity theft/security,  then " just go with the flow and give them whatever proof of identity they ask you to give" is not at all reassuring, nor is it prudent with the insecurity of many computer apps/platforms today. You may trust Upwork, but asking someone else to blindly do what the platform asks seems naive.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 30

Mark M wrote:

Thats not a very reasonable response. If someone is concerned about identity theft/security,  then " just go with the flow and give them whatever proof of identity they ask you to give" is not at all reassuring, nor is it prudent with the insecurity of many computer apps/platforms today. You may trust Upwork, but asking someone else to blindly do what the platform asks seems naive.

It is quite simple. If you decide not to, you can't work here.

That is as valid a choice as any other, but bottom line is that sooner or later everyone will be identity verified and those who opt not to partake for their own reasons opt not to continue being here.

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
25 of 30

Larry, what is your concern about providing your ID? Is it the license #? Truly asking out of curiosity. 

Ken C Member Since: Apr 6, 2018
26 of 30

It would be for me. Filing your taxes now require a copy of the drivers license, so there would be a direct connection if someone, somehow, were find a driver license number and trace it to a SS#, and who knows what other ID theft. I have a business ID # I would glady send you.

Ryan M Member Since: Aug 22, 2018
27 of 30

My concern is that no institution is ever secure, and many institutions have incentives (market-based and legal) to store data rather than destroy it. The best policy is to refrain from putting identity information out there in the first place.  Upwork should have a system that destroys the data in a verifiable way once the user's identity is confirmed. If this verification is even necessary. I'd like to see details about the federal/state requirements demanding this collection.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
28 of 30

@Ryan M wrote:

My concern is that no institution is ever secure, and many institutions have incentives (market-based and legal) to store data rather than destroy it. The best policy is to refrain from putting identity information out there in the first place.  Upwork should have a system that destroys the data in a verifiable way once the user's identity is confirmed. If this verification is even necessary. I'd like to see details about the federal/state requirements demanding this collection.

You may have a point about deleting data once used. As explained, there is no federal or state requirement involved. This is not employment. The policy is Upwork's implementation of a market-based demand.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
29 of 30

re: "I'd like to see details about the federal/state requirements demanding this collection."

Very little of what Upwork does is required or "demanded" by any government body... federal, state or otherwise.

There are many websites where you can create user accounts and start posting comments within a few seconds, with no identification at all. That is perfectly legal.

There are other websites that require interviews, background checks, tests, etc. Compared to some places, Upwork is relatively EASY to get registered on AS A FREELANCER. (Check out Toptal or codingninjas.co for examples of places where it is signiicantly more difficult to become a freelancer.)

Either way, it is up to the individual websites to set their policies and requirements. It's not a government matter.

Phillip P Member Since: Nov 30, 2018
30 of 30

Thank's Joelle O your answer is actually helpful. I don't understand all these rude people. I know I didn't post the original question, but I wanted to know the answer. I too am new to Upwork. I appreciate the Upwork employees saying that it was safe, but that's their job. I really wanted to hear it from another freelancer. I wanted to know if people had submitted their ID's without being scammed. Thanks again. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS