Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to upload a scan of your drivers license or ID

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 50

Mark M wrote:

Thats not a very reasonable response. If someone is concerned about identity theft/security,  then " just go with the flow and give them whatever proof of identity they ask you to give" is not at all reassuring, nor is it prudent with the insecurity of many computer apps/platforms today. You may trust Upwork, but asking someone else to blindly do what the platform asks seems naive.

It is quite simple. If you decide not to, you can't work here.

That is as valid a choice as any other, but bottom line is that sooner or later everyone will be identity verified and those who opt not to partake for their own reasons opt not to continue being here.

zainabnomaan
Zainab N Member Since: Apr 7, 2019
32 of 50
I strongly agree with Mark here as Identity Theft is a real thing. You guys can say that it's a safe platform and all our data is safe with you but all it takes is a little more passionate and determined hacker to change all the claims that you guys have been making and i agree with all the people who are not willing to share their personal details purely because they don't know the people behind the screens receiving all this information. I have seen so many video call interviews of upwork on Youtube and the most interesting part in all of them was that the interviewer doesn't even switches on his camera which makes the entire scenario even weirder because it makes the entire thing to look like that you want us to blindly trust you, provide you with all our data, be on a video call with you for the interview but when it comes to you guys you hide behind your screens and i have no issue with that i understand if you guys do this purely out of suspicion that you don't personally know the seller than why switch the camera on and reveal yourself but you should think about the interviewee that way too.
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
33 of 50

Larry, what is your concern about providing your ID? Is it the license #? Truly asking out of curiosity. 

kcendrow
Ken C Member Since: Apr 6, 2018
34 of 50

It would be for me. Filing your taxes now require a copy of the drivers license, so there would be a direct connection if someone, somehow, were find a driver license number and trace it to a SS#, and who knows what other ID theft. I have a business ID # I would glady send you.

thisguyworks4u
Ryan M Member Since: Aug 22, 2018
35 of 50

My concern is that no institution is ever secure, and many institutions have incentives (market-based and legal) to store data rather than destroy it. The best policy is to refrain from putting identity information out there in the first place.  Upwork should have a system that destroys the data in a verifiable way once the user's identity is confirmed. If this verification is even necessary. I'd like to see details about the federal/state requirements demanding this collection.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
36 of 50

@Ryan M wrote:

My concern is that no institution is ever secure, and many institutions have incentives (market-based and legal) to store data rather than destroy it. The best policy is to refrain from putting identity information out there in the first place.  Upwork should have a system that destroys the data in a verifiable way once the user's identity is confirmed. If this verification is even necessary. I'd like to see details about the federal/state requirements demanding this collection.

You may have a point about deleting data once used. As explained, there is no federal or state requirement involved. This is not employment. The policy is Upwork's implementation of a market-based demand.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
37 of 50

re: "I'd like to see details about the federal/state requirements demanding this collection."

Very little of what Upwork does is required or "demanded" by any government body... federal, state or otherwise.

There are many websites where you can create user accounts and start posting comments within a few seconds, with no identification at all. That is perfectly legal.

There are other websites that require interviews, background checks, tests, etc. Compared to some places, Upwork is relatively EASY to get registered on AS A FREELANCER. (Check out Toptal or codingninjas.co for examples of places where it is signiicantly more difficult to become a freelancer.)

Either way, it is up to the individual websites to set their policies and requirements. It's not a government matter.

phil_pat
Phillip P Member Since: Nov 30, 2018
38 of 50

Thank's Joelle O your answer is actually helpful. I don't understand all these rude people. I know I didn't post the original question, but I wanted to know the answer. I too am new to Upwork. I appreciate the Upwork employees saying that it was safe, but that's their job. I really wanted to hear it from another freelancer. I wanted to know if people had submitted their ID's without being scammed. Thanks again. 

bfitz70
Brendan F Member Since: Nov 19, 2020
39 of 50

Sorry Joelle, but that's the mentality that gets you in trouble.. 'we've all had to do it. I never had an issue' .. the problem is that you won't know when upwork gets hacked, and when they do, the hackers will sell your ID on the black market. I'd much rather enter my credit card, have them verify my address and then delete my CC info so there'is nothing to be stolen. Every major company on the internet has been hacked and will continue to get hacked on a regular basis. It's all about minimizing your Personal Identifiable Informaiton exposure on the internet and this process of requesting an ID is completely absurd. Talk about Idnentity Theft, why don't you just give the upwork employees the keys to your house and let them come over for a cup of coffee? common sense says no.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
40 of 50

If you object to providing identification to Upwork, don't use Upwork.  Problem solved.  My credit card has been hacked multiple times; my Upwork account has never been hacked in 8 years.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS