🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it safe to communicate with clients via Wh...
Page options
53a40e4b
Community Member

Is it safe to communicate with clients via Whatsapp or Telegram

Greetings

I have realised that there are those clients who often ask us to communicate with them via telegram or whatsapp instead of Upwork messages and sometimes even their payment is not verified.

You send a proposal to a job then the client respond by giving you their whatsapp number or link to telegram to communicate with them there.

I would like to know if it is safe to work with such clients.
Is it safe to agree to communicate with client via whatsapp/telegram?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes!

It is SAFE to use Telegram or WhatsApp to communicate with clients if you have been officially hired by them using an Upwork contract.

Before you are hired, it is not allowed.

If you communicate using WhatsApp or Telegram BEFORE being hired, then you are violating a Upwork TOS. You could be suspended id you are caught doing that.

Nearly all "clients" who ask you to communicate using Telegraph or WhatsApp BEFORE hiring you are scammers. They are just trying to steal the money from your bank account.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
petra_r
Community Member

Irish P wrote:Is it okay to agree to communicate with client via whatsapp/telegram or we should stick to communicating via Upwork?

Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's terms of service and those jobs are generally scams anyway.

So by NOT violating the terms of service you keep yourself safe from scams and your account safe from being suspended for violating the terms of service. PLEASE take the time to read the terms of service before you do anything else.

53a40e4b
Community Member

Thank you @Petra 

kc001
Community Member

I have a contract in place and now after I have the contract in place I was asked to go on WhatsApp just for communication purposes. I take it that's ok?

fe1f2ef4
Community Member

Yes you can communicate with your client, since the contract has been made

825df761
Community Member

Alright thank you 

21b5a4ce
Community Member

hi, one more thing, after accepting proposal they ask to contact them on telegram is that fine should we start work there or not ??

You are not allowed to communicate outside Upwork if you do not have a contract on Upwork. If it is just a proposal, you are not allowed.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes!

It is SAFE to use Telegram or WhatsApp to communicate with clients if you have been officially hired by them using an Upwork contract.

Before you are hired, it is not allowed.

If you communicate using WhatsApp or Telegram BEFORE being hired, then you are violating a Upwork TOS. You could be suspended id you are caught doing that.

Nearly all "clients" who ask you to communicate using Telegraph or WhatsApp BEFORE hiring you are scammers. They are just trying to steal the money from your bank account.

Thank you @Preston

Thank you for this question and answer because I almost got scammed. 

Thank you for the information. I almost got scammed. There are potential clients who message me and wanted to use Telegram or Whatsapp in communication before I get hired. 

Is it safe to go on WhatsApp after a contract is in place? 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yes, but to at least help ensure you will actually get paid, the contract should either be hourly using the time tracker, or a fixed price contract with the money being put into escrow, and not using a bonus as a payment method, and in no way should should have to buy anything to or from the client, and the payments have to go through Upwork, and in no way involve crypto.

I just got an accepted proposal and employer asked me to go to Telegram before getting hired. I assume it was a scam.

You would almost certainly be correct. Don't do it.

Hi Osmar,

Please note that communicating outside Upwork before a contract starts is against our Terms of Service. To protect yourself from scams, make sure to keep the negotiations within the message center and report to us any suspicious user activity. You may also want to read Wes's thread regarding top red flags for scams to learn how scammers usually operate.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank for this...I have had 3 responses to proposals I sent, and all 3 send me a message asking me to contact them via Telegram. They don't indicate that I am officially hired, just that I must contact the director directly through Telegram, and as far as I am aware that is against Upwork Terms & Conditions. Also, I noted all 3 don't have a history of posting jobs on Upwork.  What am I supposed to do with that, ignore it or report it. Thanx again.

"They don't indicate that I am officially hired, just that I must contact the director directly through Telegram, and as far as I am aware that is against Upwork Terms & Conditions."

Yes! You are absolutely correct. Not only can your account be suspended, but you will never receive a penny from the thieves. The people who have followed through lose money every time. You are wise to follow the TOS and never agree to work with someone without a valid contract.

"What am I supposed to do with that, ignore it or report it."

Contact support. They need to know and hopefully will suspend the client. Unfortunately, the thieves return because they find easy marks, and if it says verified, they found another stolen credit card. Don't let that deter you. Report them and make sure your connects are returned. It's not your fault the client was deceptive.

Being new, you are a target for the scams, and it can be difficult to see some of the scams. If the money is too high for the skills, if the job doesn't make sense (retyping, typing to word, pdf to word, retype from images to word, etc.), if there are less than 5 applicants (why so few?), if it is very vague, or if it makes no sense and is just a bunch of words stop before you apply. Check out everything you can, and don't forget to listen to your gut/intuition/cosmic consciousness/spidey sense if you have the feeling something isn't quite right.

Here is good information:

from Vladimir

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

and from Wes

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Knowledge is power. Read the forum posts on how to be safe and avoid scams, follow Upwork's regulations, and post here if you have any questions or concerns before taking action.

Report them and block them.

Today I was invited for a job interview via whatsapp, the client was insistent even whem I told him it would better via Upwork. Now I can surely say its not allowed. But should I flag this client? Or what else can I do for new freelancers that dont use this community and forums?

Thanks.

re: "Or what else can I do for new freelancers that dont use this community and forums?"

Ultimately, if a new freelancer is going to jump in and use Upwork without reading the directions, they will probably need to take their lumps. That is the natural order of things. There is nothing you can do to prevent them from feeling some pain at some point.

You don't owe them anything.

You are certainly allowed to flag a job proposal posted by a client who asks you to communicate via WhatsApp before being officially hired.

That can be helpful. But when a scammer has their account terminated by Upwork after being reported, they simply create a new fake client account. So ultimately, it is up to freelancers to educate themselves in order to prevent getting scammed.

I only reported the message where he sent me his phone number. But next time I'm going to flag the job posting to prevent others to be scammed. 

i am a new  in this field. and today i`ve applied to the typewriting job and the budget of the client was a much more higher then they answered me via email and said that  i`m hired to this job . but i am not sure it is officially or not. by the way they wanted me to contact by telegram and when i contacted them they`ve wanted to know my personal information like my name, location, email, gender and age, so what should i do should i give this information to them and is it ok to ask this kind of questions by job posted company?

Stop talking to this client because they are scammers. When someone wants you outside of Upwork before a contract is in place, it is a scam.

Before you even look at jobs, read this post and follow every link.

You need to learn the rules. No one, including Upwork, will save you when you break the rules.

can I share whats app id after a client hire me?

re: "can I share whats app id after a client hire me?"

Yes.

The client told me I was hired and said that I should email her manager for more details, but then after doing that, I was told to message them on Telegram and the work was given. However, I did not see any contracts made here on upwork. Im confused if I was really hired or not

This is a scam, and you have not been hired. This is a common scam that will cost you all your money and effort with no pay, and it can cost you your Upwork account, because it violates the Terms of service to go outside of Upwork for any reason before an Upwork contract is in place.

Stop all communication with the client, and do not give them any work. Report this to Upwork. Since you have posted, you can click on the three dots in the upper right corner, and a menu will drop down. Click on "notify moderator" at the bottom, and ask someone to help you. Tell them you understand you made a mistake, and won't do it again, but that the client is a scammer.

Before you look at jobs, read this post and follow every link. It will teach you how to use the platform safely and guide you to creating great profiles and proposals. Learn the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

Upwork is no different from a random chat room. You have no idea who anyone is, why they are here, or their intentions. It is up to you to protect yourself because no one will do it for you, including Upwork. Be safe.

richardcoda
Community Member

No human being has used a "telegram" in decades. That is your red flag, right there. As far as whatsapp... I'm, let's just say, "older"... that's for people who cheat on their spouses. 🙂

377985a1
Community Member

I have also noticed that. Thanks for sharing.

ce3e3688
Community Member

i am a new  in this field. and today i`ve applied to the typewriting job and the budget of the client was a much more higher then they answered me via email and said that  i`m hired to this job . but i am not sure it is officially or not. by the way they wanted me to contact by telegram and when i contacted them they`ve wanted to know my personal information like my name, location, email, gender and age, so what should i do should i give this information to them and is it ok to ask this kind of questions by job posted company? and now the job i`ve applied is removed from upwork. is it ok? can you give me some information please?

05ff6ff0
Community Member

Saludos!

Me  contactarón para un puesto  que sometí mi CV,me pidieron mis datos personales e incluso me piden enviarle mi Whatsapp para que el departamento correspondiente me contacte pero aún no he firmado ningun tipo de contrato. Ni tengo más informaion al respeto.

Me pregunto si seria confiable.

Muchas gracias por su ayuda!

02da7967
Community Member

Greetings! It's not uncommon for clients to prefer communication via WhatsApp or Telegram, bypassing Upwork messages. However, caution is warranted when a client's payment isn't verified. It's essential to assess the legitimacy of such requests. While these platforms offer convenience, they lack the built-in security of Upwork. Ensure you establish trust before shifting communication channels, and consider suggesting a brief conversation on Upwork initially. As for safety, exercise discretion, and be vigilant. Trust your instincts and prioritize verified payment methods for secure transactions. Regarding the mention of tm whatsapp 2024, it's advisable to stay updated on technology trends and verify the legitimacy of any new features or versions. Stay vigilant and make informed decisions.

You are providing incorrect information.

It's not uncommon for clients to prefer communication via WhatsApp or Telegram, bypassing Upwork messages.

Yes, scammers love to communicate outside Upwork. You cannot do anything with a potential client, not even talk or text, outside of Upwork, before an Upwork contract is in place.

caution is warranted when a client's payment isn't verified. I

Verified payment means absolutely nothing. The only thing that matters is having a funded Upwork contract. The problem is that freelancers think verified payment means they will be paid, and it does not.

If you are not a bot, you need to use the Academy before you are scammed. There is literally nothing in your profile.

Salutations! Clients frequently prefer to communicate via Telegram or WhatsApp over Upwork chats. But when a customer's payment isn't confirmed, vigilance is required. It's critical to evaluate the validity of these demands. These platforms are more convenient, but they don't have Upwork's inherent security. Make sure you build rapport before changing the channel of communication, and think about proposing a little chat on Upwork first. Regarding safety, use caution and remain alert. For safe purchases, go with your gut feeling and give priority to approved payment options. In reference to the discussion of TM WhatsApp 2024, it is a good idea to keep abreast of technological developments and confirm the authenticity of any updated features or versions. Remain alert and make wise choices.

Dusty Kenny

Your plagiarized post, from the post above, is incorrect. Just because you spin it a bit, doesn't mean you are not using another person's post.

Anything you do, outside of Upwork with a potential client, is forbidden until an Upwork contract is in place. Your "advice" will get people permanently kicked out of Upwork, if they aren't scammed before being kicked out for violating the Terms of Service. In short, your plagiarized "advice" is harmful and dangerous.

I don't know if you are even real, based on the fact your profile is completely empty. The "built-in security" you speak of, doesn't exist.

Verified payment means nothing, and paying attention to that aspect, is dangerous, because it has nothing to do with being safe or ensuring the client isn't a scammer.

You have no profile, you are plagiarizing another post, incorrect "advice" and all, and you are giving terrible advice. In addition, why does your name not match the profile name? No legitimate client will look at you to hire, nor should they.

Freelancers and clients need to learn about vetting. When you have no profile, different names, etc. the alarm bells are ringing loudly. If freelancers want legitimate, correct advice, use the Academy and consider advice from experienced freelancers.

farhanali06827
Community Member

Irish P wrote:

Greetings

I have realised that there are those clients who often ask us to communicate with them via telegram or whatsapp instead of Upwork messages and sometimes even their payment is not verified.

You send a proposal to a job then the client respond by giving you their whatsapp number or link to telegram to communicate with them there.

I would like to know if it is safe to work with such clients.
Is it safe to agree to communicate with client via whatsapp mod /telegram?

If you share you whatsapp, telegram or any other your social profile, you will be banned from upwork team. If client shares, don't reply him or simply ask him, you are not allowed to contact clients via third party platforms.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members