cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to go "back into the water?"

Scott I Member Since: Dec 10, 2014
1 of 10

Greetings everyone,

I had two clients that I worked for over the summer, and both projects were finished about 2 weeks ago. Since then I haven't applied to new jobs because I've been reluctant with all the bugs currently in the system. I figure it's to be expected from a huge change and company merger, but it still has me worried.

My portfolio kept reversing, and of course I don't want to have my weakest work shown first to possible clients. Thanks to some helpful posts here, I used their temporary fix and it seems to be okay for now. I'm mostly worried about glitches that could make clients think I'm not doing something right, or not communicating on time, and then giving a bad review because of it. Earlier in the summer when messages were getting delayed, one of my clients was getting concerned about my lack of responses, but thankfully I was able to finally show her that the message system was having issues. But it was sad reading other freelancers say that job interviews were being dropped because clients thought that they weren't interested when the messages weren't getting through. So for now I've just been making quick edits for repeat clients, adding more to my portfolio, learning how to use new software, and spending the last two weeks of summer with my kids.

So now my kids went back to school today, and I need to look for more work again. I'm just concerned about all the issues people are still posting about, so I was wondering about everyone's experiences lately. Is it safe enough to apply for new jobs and get new projects going?

I hope you're all having a good day!

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 10

The best thing to do is give the client your email address as soon as they reply to your proposal, then just use Upwork for handling payment; handle the actual job using a communication system you can rely on.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
3 of 10

Perfect Advice Fergus. I almost always keep the communciation out of the system as possible after getting over a job even on Elance. I would post to Elance every few days some messages with status updates so it act as a proof to what's going on and the client replies to those, but in general I keep my communciation with my clients off platform for simplicity. It's so great to chat on Skype or send someone an email and get a response in minutes instead of letting them login to some website to reply (little people know they can reply from their email and even those who know it know already it doesn't always get delivered).

So Scott like Fergus said. In general the contract is between you & the client. Upwork/Elance only introduce you to the client and facilitate the process of handling payment/escrow so you that you know the money is in a safe place (with some weird security period on Upwork anyway but at least you know you'll get paid). 

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 10

@fergus M wrote:

The best thing to do is give the client your email address as soon as they reply to your proposal, then just use Upwork for handling payment; handle the actual job using a communication system you can rely on.

Finally, I don't have to post my usual take on this solution for the broken Message Center.

Thank you, Fergus. I'm crazy tired of saying the same **bleep** thing over and over.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 10

People are complaining that proposals aren't showing up, so that's a real show stopper. I would think it's a priority to get fixed, but who knows.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
6 of 10

No it's not safe at all but if you're like me, then you'll have no choice but to just keep swimming.

Rebecka W Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
7 of 10

I agree with Isabel. I had an offer that didn't show up in the system until AFTER I received a notice that it had expired. I am currently waiting for the Upwork Team App to work so I can log time. I'm getting ready to give up. Don't jump back in here unless you have too, it's mostly a waste of time right now.

8 of 10

Thanks everyone for the advice and updates.

Okay, so what I got so far is to make it a habit of providing alternate contact every time, and use Upwork's message system to post updates for the record. Proposals aren't working right, and the Team app is out as well. Wow, that makes finding and working hourly jobs quite challenging then.

Well, I definitely do have to start working again, especially after taking a couple weeks off. So I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and jump back in.

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
9 of 10

Great Scott. I wish you the best of luck.

10 of 10

Thank you Wassim, and thank you for being so helpful for everyone on these forums.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS