🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it strange? Client asked a copy of my ...
Page options
inro
Community Member

Is it strange? Client asked a copy of my passeport & notified signature

Hi there!
I received an offer for a job  which I did not make proposal.
About the work of assistant - there is practically nothing in the text, but the employer ask me a copy of my passport and notarized signature. This is suspicious, so I decided to ask the opinion of the community.
Why do you think they need it?

Many thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Inna, 

This is a strange request, and I would recommend that you don't send any personal information to your client. Please flag the client's message or job post as inappropriate, so that the team can review it against the Terms of Service. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitoshkr
Community Member

very starnge, I never heared such tyoe of incident. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Inna R wrote:

Hi there!
I received an offer for a job  which I did not make proposal.
About the work of assistant - there is practically nothing in the text, but the employer ask me a copy of my passport and notarized signature. This is suspicious, so I decided to ask the opinion of the community.
Why do you think they need it?

Many thanks.

Identity theft.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Inna, 

This is a strange request, and I would recommend that you don't send any personal information to your client. Please flag the client's message or job post as inappropriate, so that the team can review it against the Terms of Service. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
inro
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Many thanks for your answer, it confirme my surprising, so, attention & prudence - our bests friends, and the answers of the members of community, of corse.

Have a nice day!

inro
Community Member

Juste little question, I m confused, but dont see how I can flag the client s message, sorry.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Inna, 

You should be able to report a message in your message room, by hovering your mouse just beside a timestamp. When the cog appears (it disappeared when I took a screen shot, it should be a small grey cog), you will be able to click on it, and see the options available for that message. You should be able to report the message from there. 

~ Avery
Upwork
hermanng
Community Member

It's a scam quite simply - stay away and do NOT send them anything

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members