🐈 Community

Is it time to leave oDesk? for me

Hello

Hope you all are doing great !!!

I'm seeking for help. My job success is lower down to 50%, however my feedback score is 5 star.

I have been trying since 2 months but not getting any jobs. I am trying with all efforts, providing solutions in cover letter itself and lot of things.

Last job: I ended up doing free as he was a fraud Client. No help.

Should I keep working on oDesk or not? I think I am wasting time here.

I got one job on eLance in the meantime and done well but I still like oDesk as it is user friendly.

Does this Job success will never let me land to any job in future? Is there any other solution to increase Job success.

Thanks & Regards,

Waseem

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sad but true

"Additionally, we consider all your Upwork jobs -- including whether or not work was performed. Jobs ending without receiving payment, or with a full refund, may be excluded from your profile history. But they are still an important factor in calculating your Job Success Score."

It is pretty hard being a freelancer here. Especially a new one.

*Edited to add - A dispute also counts against your JS score, so it is not really a viable option, as suggested.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jsutherland

I see you as only having 1 job and 1 feedback and no Job Success score. You need more than 1 for your Job Success score to show up. So I'm not seeing the problem.

Its not right.

Its shows my Job success 50%. I have 2 feedbacks on my profiles.

One I have refunded. I know that also counted.

One paid me but never come back to give me a feedback to do such a helpful job for him,

Now, clients are asking to do Test job before hiring. I did one flawlessly but he never come back. I know he was a fraud.

I'm totally confuse. The one I did work for, I get paid but no feedback. He disappeared. If he could give me 5 star feedback, possibly I have 70+ Job success.

Don't know what to do. It showing 50% Job success and in this competetive market, it is very bad.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Waseem,

Please, note that in order to fully represent freelancer's performance on Upwork, Job Success score takes into account all contracts, including those where no money was paid or everything was refunded. That being said, it is still possible to bring your Job Success score up. Please, make sure you take on jobs that you are able to complete, communicate with your clients in the timely manner and deliver excellent work. You can use this help article for reference.

Best of luck!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valerie, what happens to the job where he completed it and did not get paid? Does that count against his score as well?

Hi Jean,

Both clients and freelancers can still leave private feedback on jobs where no money changed hands and this feedback is taken into consideration. If the job was completed but client does not release the payment, freelancer can dispute it. Our dispute team will help resolving the issue then.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Sad but true

"Additionally, we consider all your Upwork jobs -- including whether or not work was performed. Jobs ending without receiving payment, or with a full refund, may be excluded from your profile history. But they are still an important factor in calculating your Job Success Score."

It is pretty hard being a freelancer here. Especially a new one.

*Edited to add - A dispute also counts against your JS score, so it is not really a viable option, as suggested.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

Yes, its Sad and true.

I should find a better platform and MOVE ON !!! 🙂

Thanks for your views but frankly speaking no help.

All the best to you all !!!

You never know when clients changes there requirements and sometimes challenge your creativity.

In a situation where I'm unable to earn , I will definitely hog for new projects, explore myself and put more efforts.

I think its not a good idea to include unpaind contract in Job success. Its because after wasting time with clients who never know what they want, still helping them, work for them and lastly re-funding them all the money. It no-where seems a goo thing for Freelancer.

Many are doing good because they already settled up and developed good reputation but for new guys this is really bad.

Is there anything Upwork can change into Job success? to make it good freelancer.

I agree there are fake freelancers who waste clients money but there are also such dirty clients even God can't make them happy.

tj1972

Upwork!

You MUST change your approach to JS score calculation.

It is higly unfair from freelancers standpoin - why we should pay with our JS scores if clients do not do their part of the job?

My guess is that, for example in my case, in the next 2 weeks my JS score will go further down, however, I do 2 long term  contracts and definitelly won't get feedback in those two weeks from now (and same time having still completed but not closed by the clients several contaracts). And, of course, I'm not alone in this - we are whole army suffering with someones, say this way, not a smart approach.

It's OK with me to have JS scoring - but make it more clever and flexible!

Thanks

Hi Tamaz,

The Job Success score does take into account the long term projects you have and the continued success on those efforts. So, you are in fact benefitting from a long term job that remains active. 

Additionally, we also account for a small ratio of jobs in your work history that complete without final ratings. We know this happens. If you're continuing to complete the majority of your jobs with receive final ratings these occasional projects without will not detract from your score.

Hi Garnor,

Thank you for update.

Lets wait for another week or so to see what will happen with JS score. Smiley Very Happy

I really keen to see how that will behave...

If I understood correctly my JS score should not change (at least dramatically) unless one of those two jobs will end and I'll get good/bad feedback...  (or am I still not fully understanding the process?)