🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it useful to have a "Skill" rating for in ...
Page options
inspiredearth

Is it useful to have a "Skill" rating for in the client rating system?

The rating system freelancers have for rating their clients asks them to rate the client's Skill level.

In all the clients I've worked with, I rarely (if ever) have any basis for rating their skill level. I can completely understand why a client would be asked to rate the skill level of the freelancer—since it's the freelancer who is using skills to do the required work—but it makes no sense to me that the freelancer is forced to rate the skill level of the client.

I am not someone who dishes out high ratings to simply appease clients (or freelancers, when I am the client). I give honest ratings, and honest feedback. Yet being required to rate the client's skill level leaves me unable to give a legitmate rating.

I would like to know what other freelancers think about the requirement to rate their client's skill level. Also, whether you think it would be better if there was a "Not applicable" option on the skill rating. I don't suggest it be removed entirely, because there may in fact be jobs/projects in which client's are more involved, and whereby their skill level plays a part in the relationship. 

If "Not applicable" is selected, then the average stars will be calculated only from the other criteria we rate clients with.

Your thoughts?

Jonathan

2 REPLIES 2
tlsanders

I base a client's skill rating on that client's understanding of the substance and needs of the project. I'm not sure whether that's how it's intended to be used, but that's how I interpreted it. 

I write almost exclusively law firm web content, blog posts and ghostwritten materials for attorneys. Many of my clients are marketing agencies. Some of those agencies have fully educated themselves about variables ranging from SEO and readability of content to attorney advertising regulations. Others are surprised to learn that we have to ensure that copy is compliant with state-specific regulations. 

I give a client a high skill rating when he knows the questions and has obtained adequate information from the ultimate client. He doesn't necessarily need to know the answers; that's why he's hiring me. But, if an agency client doesn't know that sub-headers are good for both SEO and UX and I have to persuade him to leave them in, or if the client is pretty sure that I need to use a particular keyword phrase exactly 26 times in an 800 word page, or if the fact that legal practice is a regulated industry is news to him, not so much.

0f64c4e5

I have to agree with this. There should definitely be a "not applicable" option for this one. 

Best,

Katie