stevic57

Is it usual for a client to ask you to sell large items through your own ebay account?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for dealing with it so quickly. I was going to refuse anyway as I just wasn't comfortable with the job. I'll read up on the link you sent me. Cheers to everyone who answered my query. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mthornton-cpc

What does your gut tell you? 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephen,

Could you please pm me the job post link and the request you received from this client, so I could check and advise?

Untitled

https://www.upwork.com/ab/proposals/937699848821366784 Tobias Thomas.

Many thanks, I just don't know whethere to accept the job or not?

@Stephen V wrote:

Many thanks, I just don't know whethere to accept the job or not?

Stephen, the fact that you are still wondering if you should accept this job is very worrisome.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Don't even think about it.

What do you think will happen to your Ebay and PayPal accounts when you sold a bunch of magical unicorns which never arrive at the buyers' houses and you've already sent the payment to "the client?"

People have not only lost their Ebay and PayPal accounts, but thousands of Dollars that way. Who do you think PayPal will come after when they've refunded the buyers....  ?? And their debt collectors are no fun to deal with....

How come they have managed to advertise on Upwork then? I thought they went through a process to be accepted, just as the Freelancers do.

@Stephen V wrote:

How come they have managed to advertise on Upwork then? I thought they went through a process to be accepted, just as the Freelancers do.

Nope. There is no verification require to post a job. Once they hire they have to add a verified payment method.

Did you receive an official offer THROUGH UPWORK?

Is the client's payment method verified?

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Is the client's payment method verified?

PS - what "large items" are you supposed to sell? 

I was sent a job invitiaton. They are asking me to sell a £5000 worth of farming equipment via my ebay profile. Their payment is verified. My gut told me something was wrong, but then I thought clients were vetted. Now I know they're not, I'm not going to take it.

@Stephen V wrote:

I was sent a job invitiaton. They are asking me to sell a £5000 worth of farming equipment via my ebay profile. Their payment is verified. My gut told me something was wrong, but then I thought clients were vetted. Now I know they're not, I'm not going to take it.

Yeah.... You'll sell 10 before Ebay close down your accout and you end up owing PayPal £50.000........ plus all the Ebay fees...

@Stephen V wrote:

Nope. They rely on freelancers reporting fraudulent posts. There are millions of people and postings on the platform every day. Screening them all before posting would result in a bottleneck that would discourage authentic clients from using the platform, not to mention be amazingly costly. Read up on what to look for - if this didn't stand out as a red flag to you I suggest reading everything you can get your eyes on about common internet scams. 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephen,

I followed up with our team and the job and client in question were removed from our platform for violating Upwork ToS. Thanks for reporting and please do review these safety tips, in order to learn how to avoid questionable jobs and work securely and successfully within Upwork ToS.

Untitled

Thanks for dealing with it so quickly. I was going to refuse anyway as I just wasn't comfortable with the job. I'll read up on the link you sent me. Cheers to everyone who answered my query. 

tlsanders

Yes, if the client is a criminal looking for insulation from liability for his actions.