🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it worth upgrading to Freelancer Plus?
Page options
immelmann-sven
Community Member

Is it worth upgrading to Freelancer Plus?

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times... but
Is it worth upgrading to the Freelancer Plus membership?

I mainly want to upgrade as I like the idea of getting 70 connects each month, instead of having to buy at regular intervals.

I've only been on the Upwork platform for a couple of months. I literally joined 2 months before they changed up the proposal and connect system.
I've managed to land a few long-term jobs which has been a major win for me, but during my down-time, I like to propose on extra jobs as I like to keep myself busy.
I don't land many jobs either, I rarely get interviewed, so having extra connects each month will help to propose on more jobs, right?

Or is my logic flawed?

Let me know. I would love to hear everyone's opinions on the matter

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hoyle_editing
Community Member

I'd say there is little point - you can buy the connects and save yourself some money if thats all you want.

the other so called benefits/....

"hide your earnings" - only once you apply to a job they are not hidden - so pointless

"see other bids" - only shows a range, and as the range is so far and wide its not really a benefit 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
hoyle_editing
Community Member

I'd say there is little point - you can buy the connects and save yourself some money if thats all you want.

the other so called benefits/....

"hide your earnings" - only once you apply to a job they are not hidden - so pointless

"see other bids" - only shows a range, and as the range is so far and wide its not really a benefit 

Jonathan H wrote:

the other so called benifits/....

That's what I was afraid of...
Thanks Jonathan for shedding some light for me!

Like Sven here, I was close to clicking that Membership Plus. Good thing I didn't. Thanks for enlightening us. Because I don't really need 70 connects per month. It's just that I need it now but in the long run, it might not be as beneficial as I thought it would be to me now.

Hi, I am new on Upwork and just heard about freelancers plus. is it beneficial for me?

looking for you guidance

Muhammad U I suggest don't as mentioned above the plus benefits are pointless.

Once you get a few jobs you won't be needing 70 connects every month so buy connect as much as you want without upgrading to plus.

This is really helpful. I was planning to purchase Plus. But, I think you are correct

I was planning to buy Upwork plus. But this helps me . I think to buy connects is more beneficial than buying this plus plan. 

Is this really true that? It increases visibility to clinets?

No. It does not.

You need to ask people, when they make claims, how do you know? Anecdotal comments have some value, I suppose, but not when it comes to your return on investment. It costs to be a plus member, and the connects are cheaper if you buy them separately. I know, Upwork has ads and supporters who will tell you all sorts of things, including that it somehow benefits you in gaining clients, but it does not. I tried it for longer than I care to admit, and it was useless. I base my opinion on my experience, and many, many other freelancers.

However, you need to decide for yourself. You can always try it for a month, if you believe the advertising that it will help get you jobs. Just keep an eye on your stats, like proposals viewed, invitations, etc.

What would help you is to use the Academy link at the top of the page to learn about the platform and how to create a profile. Your profile is far too long and needs to be broken into paragraphs. You only have the top line to grab client's attention.

Hi,

I totally agree with this, and I would advice new freelancers the same.

It may be tempting to opt for freelancer plus as it sounds like you get an edge over others, but it doesn't. I've been experimenting with this for the past years since we needed to purchase connects, but even a Freelancer Plus subscription didn't help me that much to get clients. 

ajitmrin
Community Member

I would say Freelance Plus is more beneficial for a person who have just joined. For he/she will be any way consuming lot of connects while searching for that first contract and to create a client base. 

You can have a customized profile URL and sometimes having an idea of the competitor bid range does give a slight advantage as to what to quote knowing what the majority of freelancers had applied at.

And it makes sense especially if you are in a regular basis buying lot of connects.

I dont see any benefit even for a new person except that Upwork Plus badge that for sure not going to help with any thing. However, its a very lame strategy by UPWORK to sell connects even at higher rate with useless advantages in Plus account than they can be bought seeprately. Its very strange that 10 connects cost 1.5 USD seperately but for plus account they provide you 8 connects per 1.5 USDs. thiking that other perks are soo useful that people will buy the membership.

When i saw that I was amused at UPWORK sales department. 

I tried Freelance Plus a few times. Last time, I stopped subscribing to it because I was getting upset with other freelancer's bids. I don't see the point of working for peanuts, and no freelancer in his/her right mind should beg to be hired for peanuts.

dd5181b3
Community Member

I'll say this much...

I don't disagree with what people are saying about the lack of benefits, especially for those who have already landed some long-term contracts or have some established work going.  What I will point out is that newer folks will come in, and may struggle to find work right off the bat.  When they struggle, and are not earning, Upwork will mark their profile "Locked Private", making that profile unsearchable.  This really hurts visiblity and landing jobs.  You always have the ability to submit a request to have that lock lifted, and usually, after up to 72 hours, it will be made public again...but until you start scoring some earnings, you run the risk of it being privatized again.  It can really hurt one's visibility when starting out.  

So, in essence, it may be worth it for a newer person until they get established and rolling with some regular work.  After that point, and once visibility is no longer an issue, then I don't see a point in paying for the Freelancer Plus, personally.

aharone
Community Member

I'd say your message gives me hope too as someone beginning out on upwork actively, though I am a full stack developer. And I think I'll be going for freelance plus now. Also if anyone wants me for webdevelopment works just let me know on upwork!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members