cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worthwhile to invest in the freelancer plus membership plan?

shummas
Ace Contributor
Shummas H Member Since: Jul 2, 2016
1 of 8

Greetings.

Having joined Upwork 2 months ago, I would say that I am just a starter. Because college life isn’t easy without having a decent source of earning, I am seriously looking forward to up-scaling my freelancing business on Upwork over the course of the next few months. Hence, I wouldn’t hesitate to make an investment of both money and time.

So I was considering to buy the Upwork freelancer plus plan and was wondering whether the features that it offers can actually help me stand out? Did it help you? and, in what sense can it help a starter like me?

Also, please consider the fact that around 80% of the jobs that I see in my area of work (Content/SEO writing) are from low paying clients. Most of these clients offer no more than 1$/100 words from my observation. While many of them try their best to get their work done in exchange of peanuts. My total earnings from the last two months since I joined are $329 and hence, they aren’t likely to exceed $150 in a month on average. Considering this fact, would you say that buying the freelancer plus plan is a nice idea?

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
2 of 8
It is. There seems to be an ebb in the number of offers in the category. You can upgrade your membership to accumulate your Connects for better times which would hsppen during fall. Summer months are always slow and many Plus freelancers use that fact to stockpile Connects for autumn bidding campaigns.
shummas
Ace Contributor
Shummas H Member Since: Jul 2, 2016
3 of 8

Oh. yes, I have heard a lot that too many freelancing jobs get posted in the fall as compared to the summer season. Why is that though? 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 8

In the U.S., where a large percentage of jobs originate, summer is generally a slower time. Most people take their vacations during the summer, meaning that departments are often running with a smaller staff or putting things off until a particular person or combination of people is back in the office. A lot of companies even change their hours in the summer, so that employees can leave work earlier when the weather is nice and kids are out of school.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
5 of 8

@Tiffany S wrote:

In the U.S., where a large percentage of jobs originate, summer is generally a slower time. Most people take their vacations during the summer, meaning that departments are often running with a smaller staff or putting things off until a particular person or combination of people is back in the office. A lot of companies even change their hours in the summer, so that employees can leave work earlier when the weather is nice and kids are out of school.

Ask and ye shall receive...

I was just internally venting about the slow down on the job feed (after I weed through the I NEED A PERFECT WRITER WHO WILL WRITE ME A BEST SELLER, and the "Need an Instructional Designer for $10 per hour" gigs, there's much less to choose from at the moment). 

Thanks for posting this reminder. 

(Also could be a hint for me to take a break!!)

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
6 of 8

Many people from the US here also believe the elections play a role, too. If you write content related to US government actions and agencies you are very likely to be affected.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 8

I say yes if you blow through a lot of connects but have some left over. No if you are low on cash and always have plenty left over. I don't need it but eh at this point I would lose 80 connects and Murphy's Law is that something crazy will happen and I'll need them that month. lol

It's 10 bucks and a tax writeoff for me so I just keep it. Rollover is the only real benefit. Rest assured some schmoe always bids the lowest you can go on the bid ranges, so not even worth looking at that. I never do anyway.  Some people tryina jack my style though and I have to take them to that ghetto university.

davidd1008
Community Leader
David D Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
8 of 8

For me it's worth it more for the ability to see the bid range, not really the 10 extra connects although that helps.

Even if you're pulling in $150 or so a month, it really is only $10 so it's not that painful. 

Assume for a moment that Upwork didn't have a free plan and that all of us have to pay $10/month for the basic membership. Would you be willing to pay $10 to make $150? 

So yeah, I think it's worth it. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS